Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias cut binding as compared to straight cut binding - for straight edges >

Bias cut binding as compared to straight cut binding - for straight edges

Bias cut binding as compared to straight cut binding - for straight edges

Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I always cut my strips of binding WOF. I always press it in half and apply to my quilts.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 PM

I am always amazed at how much bias binding can be made from a square of fabric using the tube method. I use the method from the old McCalls website. I have to follow it step by step each time I make it. The only time I wasted fabric on a bias binding was when I just cut bias strips individually and then joined them. Ended up with too many unusable pieces but I had to try it at least once. I don't use it for every quilt, but love it when I do.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 PM

WOF for me.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 AM

Unless I am binding a quilt with curved corners (where bias is a necessity), I generally cut my binding length of fabric. I don't want my binding stretching all over the place, but binding a curved cornered quilt requires the bias. I can live with that. I really like the way the binding cut LOF lies -- and I always cut it so the binding is double-fabric thickness! JMHO -- it's what works for me!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 AM

I am a bias gal. Reason? It is simply what I was shown how to do years and years ago. It is what is comfortable so, why change? I have used straight cut a couple of times and it seems odd and less flexible and forgiving. Nothing wrong with the method at all, except it is not what I am used to.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 AM

I have made bias binding once or twice, but not often enough to remember how to do it. Must google each time! Usually do WOF or LOF whichever I have enough of.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:06 AM

I use bias for my binding. Easier to use and lays flat.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 AM

I am a dedicated bias binding fan. I get ripples in the binding if I cut it any other way.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Bias binding for me. All finished cutting, piecing, starched and folded for my project. It's wrapped around an empty coconut oil jar that has straight sides.
Off topic excitement: Also started my first attempt at free motion quilting and oh my gosh! Started with wavy lines and it is so intuitive, it just flows. I had no idea; I'd been dreading this for so long for fear that I'd flub it up.
As to why I do bias; I think it is easier to work with. The bias gives when needed, and I don't get that rumple that starts happening with a straight grain piece when its wrapped to the back.
Another thing; I wonder if anyone else does this but I sit down and graph out the placement of the binding around the quilt, showing where the seams fall before piecing the binding together. That way no seams fall on a corner.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 PM

I generally use straight of grain binding (mostly WOF). I find it easier to work with than bias, because straight cut doesn't stretch. It's also easier to cut. So far I haven't had any wear issues, but I hardly ever use my quilts for blanket forts any more, so I can see where it might be a problem in different use cases.

I do use bias for curved edges. I have used a combination of straight on the sides and bias on rounded corners when the binding fabric doesn't have a pattern.