Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big board >

big board

big board

Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 AM
amh

I have a quater of a sheet of plywood. I covered it with batting and muslin. It sits on my ironing board. Yes, sometimes it could be a little more stable, but it is removable and I can take it to quilt retreats, set it on the table, and basically iron whereever I want to. I have thought about putting stabilizing blocks that just fit the ironing board, but it is not so unstable that I feel that I have to.

hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 AM

I use my large cutting table for an ironing board when I need it.
I did make an ironing board from a TV table and it goes with me to camp four times a year.
I love it and don't have to stand in line for the iron either
Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I covered a piece of plywood cut the size I wanted. I place it over my ironing board. No problem with it being unstable. I don't know what your DH thinks it will do, fall over? It may wobble if your ironing board is one of the flimsy ones with crisscross one leg making two. Walmart sells a very sturdy extra wide ironing board that has four legs, not crisscrossed. It's like the one is damaquilts post. It is the one I use for my big board. I have the Reliable vacuum and up air ironing board and it's the best board I've ever used. I use it more then my big board.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-14-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM

A friend of mine her husband took a sheet of plywood and made 4 big boards from it 2' wide and 4' long then framed the back side with 1"x 2" then covered with batting and the silver heat resistant fabric and 4 big boards one to keep and three to sell. They just sit on top of your regular ironing board and work great!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM

I made my own (with DH help on the table saw). It is 24 X 48, 1/2 in plywood, with quarterround keepers underneath for a tight fit to my ironing board. I used insulbright, 2 layers of warm and natural batting, and canvas. After I upholstered all the layers, I put HOT water in a spray bottle and soaked the canvas allowing it to shrink to fit the board. I love it, especially for the hard surface for applique work.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:59 PM

My DH can fix any small tool you put in his hands..jigsaw, portaband saw, drill, jigsaw ect ect, but when it comes to wood working FORGET aboutit! But I showed him what I wanted, a big board to fit onto of my ironing board, he bought the lumber I bought the batting (2 layers of fluffy) and muslin & insul bright. Referring to this tutorial https://mulberrypatchquilts.wordpres...ard-extension/, he put the boards together & we both staple gunned the fabrics to it I now have a big board measuring 68"x2' and the boarder on the underside fit perfectly so there is no wobbling or sliding off the ironing board. I'm so proud of him and of course my self for the guidance, But it works perfectly for those yards of material that needs pressing.
Jeri
Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
My big board sits on top of a regular ironing board -- I don't have an issue with i being unstable. I do love my big board.

I have the same and it works great.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM

My sister and I made ours. we got pieces of 2' x 4' pressboard, sprayed with the spraybaste and covered with tin foil. Then 2 layers of batting and muslin for the top. Pulled all the layers to the back and stapled. It sits on top of the dressers in our sewing rooms. we pulled them away from the wall and centered the pressing board on it. It is firm enough to set my cutting mat on top of and use. I keep meaning to make a elasticised cover for the whole thing that I can remove and wash when needed. We really like them and a recent houseguest did too. she had her husband "inspect" it so he could make her one.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 PM

I love my big board too. It sits on top of my regular board and it is not unstable at all. I bought it at our local quilt show. When I brought it home, my husband said "I could have made that." He's right, of course, but this way I didn't have to wait. It was already done.

Dina
Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by geegs View Post
I would love to have a big board to place on my ironing board. I don't know the dimensions or how to proceed. My husband says a big board wont work because it will be too unstable. I would appreciate some help.
Thanks
geegs

The Big Board is expensive but one of the best things I have ever purchased. I use it all the time for ironing and I, put my cutting board on it. When needed. Love it!