Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big board >

big board

big board

Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
My husband made me one to fit on a ironing board. I love it but is heavy and bent the ironing board so bought a used one at the thrift store but it is starting to bend. Since I've had it several years, I'll look for another used one. I took it off for awhile but missed it. I do have a 2nd one for ironing clothes (which I rarely do).
I bought a heavy duty ironing board at either Target or Wal-mart that is much heavier than the flimsy ironing board that I used to have. I leave it set up all the time, dh has his own ironing board so he can iron his clothing.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 AM

I have a big board my dad made. He just split a piece of 3/4 plywood in half and put boards on the back to hug the ironing board. I then covered mine with Ironslide from Bonash. You can get a pattern on how to make the board and the cover from Nancy's Notions. Actually I added it up and my dad has made about 18 of these boards for my friends in our quilting group. So nice to use.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:52 AM

How amazing that some of you girls have made these yourselves! I want one and may have to try to make one too. Won't Home Depot or Lowe's cut wood for you if you ask? I hope so, I'm feeling inspired.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:15 AM

I got a piece of plywood that is 2 feet or so by maybe 4 feet…. long enough to cover the top of the metal frame of my ironing board. I covered it in batting and canvas, staple gunned everything to the bottom, and then I laid it down upside down on the floor, placed the ironing board frame on it upside down, and used very short screws with washers through the holes in the top of the metal ironing board frame to secure it. It's quite stable. I also made a smaller version for taking places and if I want to just put the smaller one on top of my work table to press small items as I piece or whatnot. That one I glued two layers of felt on the bottom so the staples would not scratch whatever surface I put it on.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:16 AM

I purchased a piece of plywood 2'x4'. Then I had my dh attach the plywood to my ironing board with screws and lock washers. Be careful not to get the screws too long or they will come through. I then covered the board with batting and some silver ironing board fabric, and stapled it to the bottom of the board. It cannot be removed, but for me this is fine.... I don't do much ironing outside of fabric for my quilts. Not difficult and very reasonable cost wise.