Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding width? >

Binding width?

Binding width?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

The last few years I have bound over 100 quilts. I perfere to cut binding 2 1/4 inch. When I teach I suggest using
2 1/4 also. Several of the students that have used wider bindings really like the 2 1/4 inch once they try it.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
On full sized quilts I use 2 1/2 double folded, usually on the bias as it wears longer, but have used straight binding as well.
I sew lots of small quilts, table runners, wall hangings, etc. For these I like to use single folded binding cut 1 1/4". Before I sew the binding on, I firmly press the edge not sewn to the quilt 1/4" under and sew the unpressed edge to the quilt. Now I have the folded edge in place to either machine or hand stitch.

Are you cutting your binding on the length of the fabric or width? I've wondered that because there is stretch to the fabric if you cut width and none if you cut length. Just me wondering???
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by vwquilting
I must be living on the moon. I always do 4 " and folds them in half. I thought it was for wear. I well I learned a lot tonight. Thanks.
That's my thought too, for the wear. I saw M'liss Rae Hawley (she has her own line of fabric and has written many books) do a trunk show and she said she always did bindings 3" bc it takes just a tiny bit more bite on the quilt. It made sense to me and that's why I use 3" for binding. The binding get the most wear on a quilt.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Now that we've established that preference & quilt design determine binding width, I'd like to know if you sew the binding by machine or by hand? I do it both ways depending on what use the quilt is meant for. I always sew the folded strip by machine on the first seam. If I'm going to hand finish it I sew it to the front first. If I'm going to machine finish I sew it to the back first & then use a decorative stitch on the front side. Makes it look better on the back.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
I like to cut mine 2 1/4" also. I learned that this helps ensure the width (of the binding)on the back of the quilt more closely matches the width on the front of the quilt when it's finished.

I also learned that quilt judges (at shows) look for bindings to be completely filled by the batting.
But it's definitely a matter of preference.
I also used 21/4-21/2 depending on what I want the it to look like once finished.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by quilterfly
Now that we've established that preference & quilt design determine binding width, I'd like to know if you sew the binding by machine or by hand? I do it both ways depending on what use the quilt is meant for. I always sew the folded strip by machine on the first seam. If I'm going to hand finish it I sew it to the front first. If I'm going to machine finish I sew it to the back first & then use a decorative stitch on the front side. Makes it look better on the back.
I always sew the binding to the front of the quilt by machine, then turn to the back and hand stitch it in place.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by quilterfly
Me too, May in Jersey
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
I like mine cut at 3" too.
ME TOO, then double sew 1/4inch to edge on top then mitre corners and sew on back -------always by hand.
Lady at classes does SINGLE 2 inches and does not mitre corners but finishes each side at end ---------don't like this,always thoght that the most wear on quilt was the binding.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM

The binding gets the most wear. The best binding is cut on bias and folded in half, then sewn on. Next best is same but not on bias. Single is OK for very small quilts or wall hangings that do not get a lot of wear. It is OK to fold back to front but does not wear as well.

IMO corners that are not mitered are just not as attractive or finished looking. If I am going to spend a lot of time and money on a quilt, I want it too look it's best to the edge.

Kids or charity quilts I sew binding on back, turn to front and sew with decorative stitch. Others I always sew to front and blind stitch to back. Judges will look at binding for this as well as evenness of binding, same width front and back, binding full oif batting all the way to edge, and not wavy. Even if not making a quilt that will be judged, I try to practice this on all my quilts. The more I practice the better I get.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by vwquilting
I must be living on the moon. I always do 4 " and folds them in half. I thought it was for wear. I well I learned a lot tonight. Thanks.
I like and use wider binding and have for years. I think it gives a lush look to the quilt. Of course, sometimes a narrow binding is just the thing. To me, the binding is part of the total design and should not follow a fixed formula for all quilts.