Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bindings - is there an advantage to bias? >

Bindings - is there an advantage to bias?

Bindings - is there an advantage to bias?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes, I had heard that the bias wears longer. I do use the tube method though I have also cut bias strips & sewn them together. Part of the reason for the question is I have a table topper that I want to bind in a particular fabric but I don't have very much of it left; certainly not enough to do it on the bias. Going to give the straight binding a try with this one.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

It would seem to me that it would take the same number of square inches for 10 feet of 2 inch wide bias on either the straight of grain or on the bias.

I do agree that if one has a limited length, that one could get by with fewer joining seams.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

I have made over 100 quilts and have never used a bias binding. I cut all of mine on cross grain, selvage to selvage. The biggest number of my quilts have the corners rounded, my favorite. I pull my bindings tight as I machine sew them on and they turn out perfect. Sorry quilt police, I won't let you inside my house, so stay away.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 PM

I've used both. But as a rule use regular cross cut binding. But it's got some curves going I use the bias. I've always heard that it lasts longer.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Jim

I always used bias bindings until about a year ago when I changed to straight of grain unless doing as everyone else says...curves. It's certainly easier and faster to cut. It doesn't show any different to me and sure takes a lot less fabric.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 AM

I'm with the majority here - straight unless curves are involved
Old 08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have made over 100 quilts and have never used a bias binding. I cut all of mine on cross grain, selvage to selvage. The biggest number of my quilts have the corners rounded, my favorite. I pull my bindings tight as I machine sew them on and they turn out perfect. Sorry quilt police, I won't let you inside my house, so stay away.

Sorry, but your post sounds very quilt police-like. You state yourself you have NEVER used a bias binding and allude you never intend to then in the same paragraph tell the quilt police to stay away. LOL. I bet if you tried it you may just like working with it on a curved corner. You can't make an effective argument for or against anything that you have never tried and not sound like quilt police. Remember QP are those that think their way is the only way and your statement on cross grain binding certainly sounds that way.

I do both cross grain and bias. I think cross grain is easier to prepare as far as cutting and sewing the stips together. In my experience of working with both, I think bias binding lays on a quilt nicer (hence the points in a judged show), handles better, definitely works easier around curves and suspect also makes a nicer inside miter (as in scalloped borders, of which I have never tried).

Bias hugs the quilt tighter, looks tons better in directional fabric (checks or stripes) and definitely wears longer. I also feel like it uses more fabric. I do love working with it but I tend to make cross grain binding more often, simply because it is easier to prepare and by the time I get to the binding, if the quilt is not being entered in a show and does not have curved edges, I will go cross grain.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Unless my edge is scalloped or curved I do the straight grain binding. I cut, sew together strips, press seams open and sew it one with out ironing it in half. Find that it just works so much better for me. But maybe try out a few different ways on smaller quilts, table runners, place mats, etc. until you find the one that works the best for you. There is nothing wrong with bias binding, just a bit more work I think. JMHO