Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthday present >

Birthday present

Birthday present

Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 AM

I bought my 1st treadle machine recently! Another member of this forum suggested needlebar.org and there is treadleon.net - these sites have tons of information about antique machines. I hope you can find a link to a manual thru those sites.

My machine is a National, also. Mine is late 1800's - early 1900's. It has a vibrating shuttle - I hadn't seen one of those before - the shuttle looks like a bullet. I am in the process of cleaning and oiling the machine - it is running smoothly, but the stitch regulator is stuck - stuck on the longest stitch, of course. I can't wait to use it - I want to make at least one quilt with this machine ---- I really hope to use it a lot.

My machine did come with 2 belts, a bunch of needles, a box of attachments, and the manual - I got a another booklet that has drawings of the attachments and describes what they do. My manual also has a list of all the machine parts and what they cost.

I'm so excited for you! Enjoy your Birthday present! :D
Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 AM

She's reallly pretty!
Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Lucky you!!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 AM

What a beauty!! :) Happy Birthday and Happy V-day!

Needlebar.org is a GREAT site! They helped me to ID my machine for what she is...which is NOT what the serial number and the Singer website had me believing! ;) (Hannah is actually made in 1912, not 1879...and is a Singer 9W.)

Anyway....you got a steal...isn't it fun? What are you going to name her?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
What a beauty!! :) Happy Birthday and Happy V-day!

Needlebar.org is a GREAT site! They helped me to ID my machine for what she is...which is NOT what the serial number and the Singer website had me believing! ;) (Hannah is actually made in 1912, not 1879...and is a Singer 9W.)

Anyway....you got a steal...isn't it fun? What are you going to name her?
Her name is Josephine - Josie for short. She's named after my grandmother. Neither she nor my mother would approve of giving her a name let alone that name but she neeeds an olfashioned name and that's what came to mind. I will check out needlebar.org and thanks for the information.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I bought my 1st treadle machine recently! Another member of this forum suggested needlebar.org and there is treadleon.net - these sites have tons of information about antique machines. I hope you can find a link to a manual thru those sites.

My machine is a National, also. Mine is late 1800's - early 1900's. It has a vibrating shuttle - I hadn't seen one of those before - the shuttle looks like a bullet. I am in the process of cleaning and oiling the machine - it is running smoothly, but the stitch regulator is stuck - stuck on the longest stitch, of course. I can't wait to use it - I want to make at least one quilt with this machine ---- I really hope to use it a lot.

My machine did come with 2 belts, a bunch of needles, a box of attachments, and the manual - I got a another booklet that has drawings of the attachments and describes what they do. My manual also has a list of all the machine parts and what they cost.

I'm so excited for you! Enjoy your Birthday present! :D
I'm envious of the manual and the belts but apparently you can still get belts thru Singer for them. Hopefully one of your 2 sites will be able to help with a manual. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Google 1929 National Sewing Machine. There are a few sites to look at. One of them is somehow connected to the Smithsonian Institute - saw it mentioned in the upper right hand corner of the page.

ITS A BEAUTY! Good luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Happy Birthday and Happy Valentine's Day to you!!!! What a gorgeous machine!!!

I hope you are able to find a manual and any parts you need to get this beauty up and working for you. Miss Josie deserves to be loved again.

Welcome to the board!! I used to live in Leavenworth (1989-1990 and again 1992-1996) but I was a X-stitcher then and not a quilter. I did shop at Quilter's Quarters for fabric for other projects and I loved Peddler's Wagon in Parkville.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

WOW!!! DH should be very happy that you did all of the work for him :D:D:D
Josephine is a real beauty!!! I can't wait to see the quilt that you two create together :D:D:D
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
Happy Birthday and Happy Valentine's Day to you!!!! What a gorgeous machine!!!

I hope you are able to find a manual and any parts you need to get this beauty up and working for you. Miss Josie deserves to be loved again.

Welcome to the board!! I used to live in Leavenworth (1989-1990 and again 1992-1996) but I was a X-stitcher then and not a quilter. I did shop at Quilter's Quarters for fabric for other projects and I loved Peddler's Wagon in Parkville.
Marcia; I may have known you as a cross stitcher as that's what I did then also. I worked forever on a motorcycle for a buddy and then started a unicorn for hubby. That one's a UFO!! Small world and hoping you like Georgia. Where's your husband stationed - Ft Benning or Ft Stewart?