Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
black batting >

black batting

black batting

Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
No but if you have bearding of the batting fibers it will be a nightmare.
For the record, I have never heard of “bearding” from a cotton, bamboo, or wool. Just from polyester batting. I could be wrong, but if you stick to natural battings, I don’t think it matters unless you are showing the quilt and you don’t want seams to show through. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:38 AM

So glad to hear that W & N does not beard on dark fabrics. I was talked into using black batting for one of my quilts and I did not like the feel of the quilt when the quilting was finished. I was just going along with the recommendation of the experts where I take some of my special quilts for long arm quilting. Next time.... I'll just stick to my original plan and use the W & N. Thanks for sharing your experiences with "bearding".
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

There have been plenty of reports of wool bearding as well as 80/20 and cotton that is not needle punched to a scrim.

batting lint problems

Bearding problem

Quilters Dream Wool Batting ?
https://www.quiltingboard.com/search...g-t288026.html

Then we we have also had reports of excess lint transfer which is different than bearding but can still be rather nightmarish if you are working with white/light batting on a black/dark quilt

batting fuzz transfered to top of quilt

Additionally there have been reported problems of getting "pokies" with W&N if it is loaded the incorrect way but it happens predominantly with longarms due to the much larger needle size. But it does occasionally happen with DSM

Tuffs of batting

What happened here????
Old 03-03-2018, 07:02 AM

I have used black batting from Dream cotton. Fine!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:27 AM

I like using black background fabric to show off bright colors in my quilts. Haven't thought of using black batting, but may try on the next dark quilt. I have noticed that using white batting instead of natural colored batting makes a big difference when I use white background fabric in my quilts.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs Batting View Post
We recommend using our 80/20 black batting when making quilts made predominantly with black or dark fabrics, but you can use our Tuscany wool or Natural 80/20 as well. Keep in mind you won’t gave to deal with de-linting your quilt if you use the black batting!  Steph from Hobbs
i use a lot of black in my quilts, both in piecing front and for backing. i wanted the black bat because i felt that the white sorta, not show thru, exactly, but maybe took away from the experience of deep deep black that i wanted. i started using Hobbs 80/20 in the early 90's. where ever i've lived it's been difficult to find black batt. so, from the beginning i've ordered directly from Hobbs. last time i bought, a lqs near where i live now ordered it for me, from hobbs. she said she'd been getting requests for black batt and since she trusted my experience with it she ordered several rolls. i wasn't her only very happy customer.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 PM

I have quilted many bright tops with black backs for hospital incubator covers. The natural colored batting with skrim ( 80/20) never beards, even with a large needle. But l prefer the black, because if the backing even touches the white batting while being mounted, there is lint. Now l know there is also lint transfer when using black...but it doesn't show. Since the covers are washed before use, it doesn't really matter. But if it's a gift, it might be an issue. However, that said, l would not use black if the top had white or ivory parts.