Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Black and White quilt

Blog Entries
    Hi, Check out my Avatar. It was the first bl./wh. with a touch of dark red. Made another and sold it. nunnyJo

I think a zinger adds a touch of color to a black/white quilt.
    I have chosen a quilt pattern to make for my granddaughter
    for Xmas, just started collecting the fabrics. It is a black/white quilt with a 'zinger' fabric. It seems it adds a bit of color which adds to the overall design of the finished project.
    But I imagine it may depend on the design. (?)

MTS
    Banned
    Personally, I think black & cream quilts are very different from black & white ones.

Generally (but not always) I think B&W's are so graphic, and lively, that a touch of hot pink, lime green, red, whatever, is in the same vein.

I LOVE B&W fabric and I have seen and liked many B&W only quilts that were fabulous. But I prefer them with a little zing - doesn't have to be a lot.

B&C, on the other hand, is a more sophisticated palette. Cream also has a lot more variety than white - you could get a range of values, tone on tones, and textures of just "cream" fabrics, which you can't do with white. I remember a cream only log cabin I saw at Sister's years ago. It was stunning, but had a gazillion cream fabrics in it - you couldn't have gotten the same effect with whites.

You can even see the difference in the nature of the fabrics available in each of the two colorways.

So it really depends on what your plan is for the finished project. Do you need/want it to match your decor? Are you looking for a more elegant setting?

I don't think it's a yes or no question. I think it would/could look great either way.

Blog Entries
    That is a heavily discussed subject in the art world too. It's a little element of surprise. Much like the lone red poppy in a golden field of wheat. Many people feel that a monochromatic painting or quilt,(and a quilt is a work of art,)needs a little something to add interest. I'm back to the feeling that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Do it your way. If, after you finish, you think it is dull, appliqué a small, bright, flower which will blend with the room in which the quilt will be displayed. If the appliqué stinks, it can easily be picked off.

Take a look at the pattern dancing stars by cozyquilt.com.You will see black and white with a pop of color.

That is entirely up to you. If you're not sure, make the entire top just black and cream. If you decide it needs a little pop of color applique something on top. I think though, with black and cream that little pop of color wouldn't work like it does with the black and white. JMHO

Some quilts do need a "zinger", while others don't. I think it depends on each quilt.

Blog Entries
    What is a "zinger"?

I think a black and white quilt is very striking. I've also seen them done with a touch of red, and that is pretty, too. So, I think it is "your choice".

I searched on here and you can see photos of the quilts shared with us...they're great. Some have pop color/some don't. Hope this helps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....e+quilt&u=&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I saw a program at my local quilt guild and the subject was black and white quilts from Kay Cross books. she has wrote 4 books on this subject and she always uses a third color called a zinger. What do you think about this? Do you think it is better to use a touch of a third color? I want to make a blk and cream quilt and do I need that third color? Thanks
    Only if you want to.......quilting is supposed to be eye candy so if you only want black and white, you don't have to do anything you don't see as pleasing to your eye. Kay Cross' books are only one person's opinion, as are most things. :D

Blog Entries
    Here's one I just finished with red in it. I think any bright color would work.

Black & white with red
    Name:  Attachment-132080.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  77.8 KB

I prefer a zinger color in my black and whites. I tried lime green once. It zinged too much.

I have several of her books and love her zinger color with the black & white

I have seen a lot of black and white or cream quilts that were just beautiful. Only add another color if you see one in your vision.

I like them either way (with or without an accent color) but here's a picture of one made as a wedding gift for a bride whose attendants wore kelly green.

Thinking Outside the Block
    Name:  Attachment-134756.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  135.5 KB

Blog Entries
    WOW! I really like this one with the green.

I have done white and black with red with yellow and one with hot pink. I have also done just black and white. Just depends on the pattern I chose and the recipient.

I adore black and white quilts and always use black in some way (maybe just binding) in all my quilts - it is my "signature". Pink, lime green or a small amount of yellow will really make the quilt stand out.

It's up to you. On Wednesday I saw a ladies quilts and she has made some beautiful b/w quilts and just did another b/w with a third color which was sort of a cream/beige color. Personally I liked her b/w ones better.

Banned
    I just finished this top yesterday.
    What do you think, do I need a "Zinger" or not?
    Thanxs for your help
    Bev
    Can you see a couple of blocks that maybe I should change them? Opinions, PLEASE

My Black & White Quilt top
    Name:  Attachment-136993.jpe
Views: 76
Size:  155.5 KB

Blog Entries
    It's a beautiful quilt but it does need a pop of something and a touch of red would be in order but then, if you like it as is, then keep it such. It is quite striking. nunnyJO

Blog Entries
    Back to ya. The name of my avatar quilt is "Cowgirl Rose"

Search for it under that name. I purchased the pattern at a shop hop in WV. last summer. Good luck, nunnyJO

Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    I like them either way (with or without an accent color) but here's a picture of one made as a wedding gift for a bride whose attendants wore kelly green.
    I did one of those as well. I think the 3rd color helps with the optical illusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have always wanted to make a black and white quilt with just a touch of red, or aqua, or yellow, or lime green. Then I began acquiring her books and I felt vindicated. They are beautiful with a touch of color. Now, I think it has to be a bright, saturated color to work. Not those drab, greyed Thimbleberry colors.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast