Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Black and White quilt

Power Poster
    it is a personal taste.. Black and white can be quite beautiful but sometimes a splash of color is also nice.

Power Poster
    it is a personal taste.. Black and white can be quite beautiful but sometimes a splash of color is also nice.

Power Poster

I've done both!

Black & White
    Name:  Attachment-133204.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  63.7 KB

black, white, & teal
    Name:  Attachment-133504.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  195.2 KB

I think just black and white alone are beautiful.

I work a lot with B/W about half the time I use a third color. It was hard the first time, but I found it was kind of fun. When I put in the third color I try to put it in a corner. I do it most of the time in a small amt. Just 1 little bit.

I think no matter who we ask questions to re: quilt colors, it really boils down to what we really like. We alsways get these great ideas form the QB and I pay a lot of attention to what everyone says. Some have made many more quilts than I and have a better eye for color. Good luck to you wich way you chose to go, :)

I did a black and white one from a pattern in the nickle quilt book and put in five red and white squares randomly to add a little splash of unexpected color. Turned out great and got lots of good comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I saw a program at my local quilt guild and the subject was black and white quilts from Kay Cross books. she has wrote 4 books on this subject and she always uses a third color called a zinger. What do you think about this? Do you think it is better to use a touch of a third color? I want to make a blk and cream quilt and do I need that third color? Thanks
    Of course not! Black and cream or black and white are very dramatic! There is a wonderful world of black and white (or cream) prints out there!
    ( Did you ever suspect that her bits of zinger colors were her own individual statement?)

I love the zinger color, I'm partial to green, purple or pink. all a personal preferance.

Banned
    jojosnana,
    Thanxs for letting me know about the quilt police. I have been so worried about that. I haven't even opened my curtains, or doors in days, worried they would be out there looking for me.:}

Banned
    All of you that have put in pictures of your B&W quilts, they are all just beatiful.
    When I started this project, I didn't want to do an ordinary quilt with the Red that is always with a B&W, that's why there's no Red in it. Not that I don't like it, I just wanted to make mine "different" from the norm.
    I have never been one to walk on the same side of the road as everyone else.
    But you sure have givn me some very good ideas, that I am still tossing around in my mind. I just haven't come to a final answer yet. But I haven't given up on ideas, either.
    Thanxs again
    Bev

I love a deep red with the black and white quilts. Lately, I've been tempted to try a bright lime green.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I saw a program at my local quilt guild and the subject was black and white quilts from Kay Cross books. she has wrote 4 books on this subject and she always uses a third color called a zinger. What do you think about this? Do you think it is better to use a touch of a third color? I want to make a blk and cream quilt and do I need that third color? Thanks
    My bedroom is black, cream, and soft blue. I think black and cream alone would be striking.

Dee
    I'm going to make a blk. and white quilt for my Dil, after 2 more quilts. They are so stunning and dramatic.

I made a black and tan quilt without a zinger color. I really like the way it turned out...rather elegant.

Black and tan quilt
    Name:  Attachment-148781.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  98.2 KB

I added five red Ladybugs to my black and white star quilt. They were about 5 inches across and added randomly. I really liked the result.

I think that the zinger question always depends on the pattern and black and white fabrics that you are using as well as your mood at the time of piecing. it is your quilt do what you think best. and when it doubt post pics here and we will be happy to give you our opinion.

I LOVE red/white/black quilts. But then red IS my favorite color!

I prefer a third color for zing.

Hi The instructions on the turning twenty say don't stitch like prints together.Do I need tweny different fat qts. I have 2 yds of five different fabrics and they are mixed light and dark and one bright tone on tone pink. How can you not sticth an like ones together? there is only 4 strips and then another border if you want. I am also not sure how to convert the FQ's to cut from my yards. I did not want to make FQs first out of my yardage, that sounds kind of (don't do that") Why can't I figure this out? by the way I am using Black and Cream and a small amount of pink somewhere.

A Zinger is just a small bit ot bits of another color in the black and white quilt to make it pop. Like a few pieces of another color here and there like RED. or Bright pink or lime green. or just do the border in one of these bright colors.

Very pretty Judy.

Bev, i would put a bit of color somewhere. Not two much. it is beautiful , try to cut a couple or few of a color you like and pin it on the quilt and stand back and look.

Jessica, Both quilts are outstanding. Wow Love them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast