Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blades seem to dull so quickly.  Why? >

Blades seem to dull so quickly. Why?

Blades seem to dull so quickly. Why?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM

What kind of sharpener do you use? I wondered if they were a gimmick or really worked.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Hi Karla...nice to see you.
\
My mat is old and that is the issue for me...I have a large mat that covers the top of my cutting table...pricey to replace, so I turned it around. Now cutting in a bit different place so problem is solved, for now.
My sister recently asked me for input on getting a new mat - I suggested the largest she could afford so she'd be cutting in different areas due to the large size it would last longer, and she'd be less frustrated than dealing with a smaller mat. Along with the thought that it would most likley be the last mat she'd ever need to buy it would be well worth it. Not that she's terribly old - just 59, but my large green OLFA has see lots of use in the last 12 years, and still has lots of life in it...
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 AM

"I use an old mat with a not so old mat on top. The extra "cushion" allows the blade to sink thru the fabric a little better and cut well for longer. "

That's what I do. I have an old gray Fiskars on the bottom--never touch a blade to it now, with a newer Fiskars on top. It's one that's yellow on one side, pink on the other. I just flipped it to the yellow side...will see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by barnbum; 07-13-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I bet you are using a white mat or a June Tailor gray mat.
Nope. ;-)

PS--Love your avatar quilt.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
Blade sharpener is the way to go. You should be able to sharpen your rotary blades 3 to 5 times.
Hmmm--I will look into this. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Are you cutting paper backed fusible web? Something other than just plain quilting cotton? Do you use a lot of starch? Do you tilt the blade when you cut? All of those, and more, will dull blades quickly.
No on the fusible web...and yes on the just plain cotton. I hold the blade straight up and down--perpendicular to the mat--angled back to push down. If that makes sense....

Last edited by barnbum; 07-13-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I was thinking about this last night... do you cut batting with your rotary cutter? If so if the batting has poly in it .. it will dull the blades very quickly. I stopped using my cutter on battings with any poly, and have a "batting" pair of sissors that I use.
I haven't cut batting with the last few new blades--I've been making smaller things and cut it with scissors. Looks like I'm going to price rotary sharpeners and a new mat...

I appreciate the help.

Email notifications weren't coming through (again) so I was surprised at all the pages of helpful hints! I appreciate the advice!