Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blankets for batting? >

Blankets for batting?

Blankets for batting?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM

I have used old blankets and mattress pads also. No problems here.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Yes, old blankets are fine to use. I use them all the time. I get most of mine from yard sales. I also use the quilted bedspreads that have batting on the back. I just make sure the pattern won't show through the quilt. I have even used the quilted bedspreads for the backing if they are like new when I find them. They work great on the back of denim quilts.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM

I know of one (nationally known) quilter who makes a lot of large wall-hangings on commission for commercial buildings. She uses well washed (and shrunk) navy blankets (like army blankets, but cream colored) as the "batting" for her pieces because they hold their shape and don't sag when hanging.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I have too, but the one I used was hard to quilt through....I think it was a cheapie from Walmart, but really worn out!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 PM

I have used fleece for batting and also put no batting in and used the fleece for the batting/backing all in one. These were charity quilts and turned out really nice. Soft and wonderful for the children they were going to. I was in Minn. visiting my teen aged granddaughter and went to an outlet and paid $1.99 a yard for fleece so could afford to do this. H.R. Harris I believe is the outlet store's name. Sue
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Based on the responses, it seems to be OK - IF you are doing the quilting yourself. If you plan on taking the top to a long-armer for quilting, check w/her first! Professional long arm quilters have strict conditions for what they will quilt & type of batting used.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM

I've used blankets in 2 quilts. Before my son was born in 1979, I made him a baby quilt using a pretty blue quilt top to cover one of my daughter's baby blankets and backed it with small blue checked fabric. Another time, I used a blanket that we received as a gift (didn't like the color)as batting for a pink quilt that I made for my daughter's bed. I tacked (tied) both instead of quilting them. They were both stiff but wore well and are still used now and then.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

i have used prewashed "cheapie" walmart blankets many times for batting. they require more basting since basting spray doesn't work well (for me) on polyester. otherwise they have served well. if i've done a decent job of quilting, i can't tell the difference between those and the ones i've made with cotton batting.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by SewinSue
I have used fleece for batting and also put no batting in and used the fleece for the batting/backing all in one.
I love using fleece blankets! I can buy them locally which is a huge bonus, and my own lap quilt is made with just a top and a fleece blanket. I prefer it to any of the others I have.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by beckyw
I have used old blankets and mattress pads also. No problems here.
My mother-in-law recently passed away and we brought home some of her mattress pads....why, I have no idea. LOL I was wondering if they would work for batting as they seemed nice and could be useful.

I have found several old blankets at thrift stores, I thought would be good for batting, but haven't used them yet.

Thanks for this discussion.