Blankets for batting?

Blankets for batting?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Hi
Blankets work very well. I have used them to me the
quilt feel softer.
Wash the blanket before you use it.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 AM

:-) Thank you for the advice. I will try a piece in a quilt sandwich to practice my free motion stitches first. :thumbup:
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_lover
quilrwemomo-- not sure if your'll like using the foam blankets for batting. they are stiffer and you MIGHT feel theat webbing you mentioned through it. If it's large enough, try a small practice piece to see how you like it.

You would hate to have it in a quilt and not like it because it was to stiff, not cuddly.

fabric_lover
:-) Thank you for the advice. I will try a piece in a quilt sandwich to practice my free motion stitches first. :thumbup:
Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_lover
quilrwemomo-- not sure if your'll like using the foam blankets for batting. they are stiffer and you MIGHT feel theat webbing you mentioned through it. If it's large enough, try a small practice piece to see how you like it.

You would hate to have it in a quilt and not like it because it was to stiff, not cuddly.

fabric_lover
Thank you for the advice. I will practice on a small quilt sandwich first. :thumbup:
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Virginia
Yes, I have used many blankets for filling of a quilt. I make youth sized quilts for the veteran's hospital near me. All my friends, when they have a worn, faded blanket donate them. When I run out, I go to a thrift store. The quilt pattern on the top and the colorful lining, along with the blanket makes a wonderful addition for the totes I place them in for carry home.

So far in the last 3 years, I have made and donated 179 quilts. Working on one a day now for Christmas. Have lots of fabric. Am moving and can't take it with.
You are a very special lady for doing this, I hope to be able to do something like this, once I have all the family has there quilts from me, providing God grant me the time. God bless you and your family for helping put a smile on a face and warmth to the heart and body. Penny
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM

I've never used a blanket, but I have used a mattress cover as batting. I didn't know any better at the time, but I put it in the very first quilt I made about 8 years ago. I still use that quilt on my bed. It is soft and warm and wears very well.