Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blankets for batting? >

Blankets for batting?

Blankets for batting?

Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 PM

I've pulled the wires out of an old electric blanket and used the blanket for the quilt I was making. 40 yrs., used almost daily and it is still lovely, soft and good as or better than some with batting.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Well, thought I would pass this on. Last winter I purchased a twin size (72 by 90) polyester blanket at Walmart. Price was $5.00. It's quite thick, looks and feel like a woolen blanket. I purchase it to make a bed for my small dog for she is allergic to foam. I made several covers, and folded the blanket, slid it in the cover. I figured it would shrink and that was ok, for it still would make a thick bedding. Well lo and behold it didn't shrink a bit. It's been washed many times, and still looks great. I do have a front loading machine, don't know if that would make a difference, such as get it out of shape. So went back to Walmart and purchased three white twin size blankets ( they had different colors and some with a pattern) and will use them in my lap quilts, for I usually make them around 52 by 64. Those quilts will go North in the cold country, and I'm sure they will be nice and warm.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 PM

my dad told me they used old blankets for batting.He was an historian so for my first quilt in 1972 I used an old cotton blanket. The quilt squares are falling apart but the blanket is still good!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

My grandmother did it and they turned out fine. I used one once and it turned out really nice, but I don't have any more blankets to use that way, but if I come across any, I will use them like batting. They do seem to lie flat and quilt nicely.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM

I like blankets for batting. I Just finished a warm wishes quilt and needed to cut threads & finish up. It was on my lap while doing this. Quilt was so warm and soft. yes I will continue to use old blankets washed with cheer and clorox2, dried on medium. Heard from the recipent baby lays on quilt looking up at waving trees. Turns out nice and fluffy-better than todays batting which is so thin (what we use at community service) and not soft, kind of stiff. Don't like the stuff.

Goes through the machine fine too, by the way. I quilted it on my Viking-no problems--at least with the machine, but sometimes was the quilter (me). :roll: :roll:
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM

BYW--I use some of my old blankets but also p/u from thrift store. made out like a bandit over the 4th, 6 blankets ranging from 3.99 to 2.99. queens and received a discount to boot. Washed and using.

fabric_lover
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM

quilrwemomo-- not sure if your'll like using the foam blankets for batting. they are stiffer and you MIGHT feel theat webbing you mentioned through it. If it's large enough, try a small practice piece to see how you like it.

You would hate to have it in a quilt and not like it because it was to stiff, not cuddly.

fabric_lover
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 PM

Oh, yes use any clean soft filling..why not..We have to think"Green" recycle..like our grandmothers had to. I used my 37 yr.old daughter's nylon blanket for the filling for her first babies blanket...felt good not to throw it out...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Oh, yes use any clean soft filling..why not..We have to think"Green" recycle..like our grandmothers had to. I used my 37 yr.old daughter's nylon blanket for the filling for her first babies blanket...felt good not to throw it out...
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 AM

I buy and use the 10.00 dollar ones at walmart or family dollar. There are King size work great and cheaper then expensive batting.