Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bleed on quilt--how to get out? >

bleed on quilt--how to get out?

bleed on quilt--how to get out?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Saliva, and peroxide are both great, but I've had success using salt too. I get the stain wet, sprinkle with salt, and rub it in. Salt may not remove all of it, but does a decent job~
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Wive's tail, or maybe it works. Wet it with the saliva of the person who belongs to the blood.

Maybe Oxi clean with cold water.
This has worked several times for me....even when it's set a few days.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Please do not use hydrogen peroxide! It damages fibers and is totally unnecessary for a blood stain. See Leah Day's warning here: https://leahday.com/pages/duchess-wholecloth

If you have Z'out on hand, that works well on blood. It took massive dried blood stains out of a dress for me years ago. It is inexpensive and widely available in grocery stores and Walmart. For a small stain, Grandmother's Secret works really well, but because of the way it is dispensed it is suitable only for small stains.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
flush it with cold water.

the saliva. thing does work.
I've always just soaked in cold water and never had the stain not come out. Its easy and non toxic.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Wive's tail, or maybe it works. Wet it with the saliva of the person who belongs to the blood.

Maybe Oxi clean with cold water.
I've heard this more than once. Tried it. It works.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM

When I started quilting I stabbed myself with a needle and the blood ran on the white fabric. The girl next to me said your blood your spit! I just stared at her until she explained.Live and learn.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Cold water works for me. Usually I just wash in coldwater Tide.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:00 AM

I know that polyester fabric is much different from the cotton fabrics most of us use -- I was making one for my new infant niece, many years ago and apparently stuck myself, bled on the dress, and didn't discover it until after I had pressed the seams open, yes, over the spot of blood. I used cold water and a cheap shampoo (Suave) and it instantly removed the blood stain. Since that time, I've learned to watch much closer -- blood doesn't come out of cotton as easily as it does out of polyester fabric. It's really hard -- my sight has improved since I had cataract surgery in November, but I still miss things -- Getting old can occasionally be a pain in the neck!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Saliva works
Old 12-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I got stabbed by a corsage pin while quilting and thought I'd stopped the bleeding before it got on the quilt, but apparently I got some on a ruler and it got on the quilt. How do I get this out? its on while fabric (obvious as all sin)
Cold water and Ivory bar soap. If the stain is in the top of a sandwiched quilt what I do, is to hold a towel behind the spot, then use a clean damp white cloth (dampen with cold water only), rub it across a wet bar of Ivory soap. Get a good amount of soap on the cloth. Scrub the spot. Rinse your damp cloth thoroughly, then rub the soapy spot repeatedly until you have all the soap out. Blot with a clean dry white cloth. Spread out to dry. If you missed rinsing all the soap out and see a spot later just rinse again with plain cold water and blot dry again.
If you can hold the area with the spot over a sink, wet the spot under the faucet and scrub in some Ivory soap until spot is gone, rinse and squease(sp?) dry, then spread top out to finish drying.

I find the Ivory soap and water scrub to work wonders on most all stains. It even works on ball point pen stains. Blood stains require cold water as hot water sets them but if a stain can take hot water use that as it helps remove the stain faster.