Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Blind friend >
  • Blind friend

• Blind friend

Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM

I have this book. Lots of great quilts in it! You are a good friend. I am sure he will appreciate anything you make for him.
    http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...only-corduroy/
    Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 AM
    Power Poster

my neighbor is a visually-impaired quilter who when she learned her vision would get no better only worse, she learned Braille. Her daughter used French knots in the quilt made for her. Of course she has done this over many years but it's also how she also labels them. Often the knots are the same or a shade lighter or darker than the fabric they are embroidered on. Just a short message with his name in Braille will let him know it is his also. You can Google the Braille alphabet. You could just put his first name or initials.
    Old 05-10-2017, 01:27 PM
    KLO

Originally Posted by tessagin
    my neighbor is a visually-impaired quilter who when she learned her vision would get no better only worse, she learned Braille. Her daughter used French knots in the quilt made for her. Of course she has done this over many years but it's also how she also labels them. Often the knots are the same or a shade lighter or darker than the fabric they are embroidered on. Just a short message with his name in Braille will let him know it is his also. You can Google the Braille alphabet. You could just put his first name or initials.
    What a super idea! You should try to do this for your quilt for your friend. It would make it so special and he would know how much you care about him.

Forgot to add that I think using corduroy mixed with cottons for the quilt would also be great. Just don't make it a rag quilt if you use the corduroy.
    Old 05-10-2017, 03:56 PM

You know, it might be just as important to make it soft. I think having a very soft quilt would be very comforting if I was blind....which I am in one eye. The Braille knots are also a nice touch. Curling up with a soft quilt with my name in Braille would make me feel very fortunate.

Dina
    Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 AM

Considering. If I make this as a traditional quilt (not a rag quilt), how wide would you make the seams?
    Old 05-12-2017, 05:47 AM

minkee on the back even with some texture would be spectacular. When I hold it, I just want to stroke it and love on it. The feel is everything for minkee.