Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Blind friend

Blind friend

I have a friend who is blind and I'm thinking on making a quilt for him. Since I'm recently interested in recycling fabrics, I'm thinking on utilizing corduroy slacks that the elastic waistband has deteriorated. This way he can "feel" the fabric and design to know the quilt is his. Any suggestions as to direction of nap, other fabrics to add, etc? It should be simple, I think, and I plan to tie it, perhaps use fleece or flannel on the back?

I recently made a baby quilt with rag applique that I thought would be good for the baby to "feel". Here's a close up of how the applique looks. You might try to incorporate something like that in the quilt for him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Name:  100_0405.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  669.3 KB Or maybe something like this, backed with fabric and tied. There's pockets, zippers, belt loops, seams, bits of silk and lace for a different texture.

Blog Entries
    i made one with corduroy and plain cotton squares. rag quilt. still love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    all great ideas!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Like the corduroy idea. Maybe combined with denim and other textures. I think it would be nice as a rag quilt with flannel on the back. Lots of stuff to feel. Tied or quilted with a big x through each block before sewing them together would be easier.

I like the idea of adding denim! Hadn't thought of doing that. Will corduroy rag well? I thought it might be too tightly woven but would sure make this go faster and eliminate the need for being tied.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I like the idea of adding denim! Hadn't thought of doing that. Will corduroy rag well? I thought it might be too tightly woven but would sure make this go faster and eliminate the need for being tied.
    I wonder too.
    All my grand-children have paws.

Corduroy doesn't rag well. Even using pinking shears the material still frays and pills up. I usually use the serger on seams when sewing with corduroy.
    I like the idea of rag applique or just applique some designs.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

This is why I like crazy quilts so much. You can put in anything you want-velvet, men's ties, silk, tulle, lace, pompom trims, buttons, zippers, hand stitching with yarns/twines...whatever. They make great fidget quilts for my peeps with alzheimer's too. They can get heavy tho...

I have this book. Lots of great quilts in it! You are a good friend. I am sure he will appreciate anything you make for him.
    http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...only-corduroy/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    my neighbor is a visually-impaired quilter who when she learned her vision would get no better only worse, she learned Braille. Her daughter used French knots in the quilt made for her. Of course she has done this over many years but it's also how she also labels them. Often the knots are the same or a shade lighter or darker than the fabric they are embroidered on. Just a short message with his name in Braille will let him know it is his also. You can Google the Braille alphabet. You could just put his first name or initials.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    my neighbor is a visually-impaired quilter who when she learned her vision would get no better only worse, she learned Braille. Her daughter used French knots in the quilt made for her. Of course she has done this over many years but it's also how she also labels them. Often the knots are the same or a shade lighter or darker than the fabric they are embroidered on. Just a short message with his name in Braille will let him know it is his also. You can Google the Braille alphabet. You could just put his first name or initials.
    What a super idea! You should try to do this for your quilt for your friend. It would make it so special and he would know how much you care about him.

Forgot to add that I think using corduroy mixed with cottons for the quilt would also be great. Just don't make it a rag quilt if you use the corduroy.

You know, it might be just as important to make it soft. I think having a very soft quilt would be very comforting if I was blind....which I am in one eye. The Braille knots are also a nice touch. Curling up with a soft quilt with my name in Braille would make me feel very fortunate.

Dina

Considering. If I make this as a traditional quilt (not a rag quilt), how wide would you make the seams?

minkee on the back even with some texture would be spectacular. When I hold it, I just want to stroke it and love on it. The feel is everything for minkee.