Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: blizzard warning for tomorrow...

I live in Big Bear CA and looking out my window it is snowing ... Finished my coffe and am going to start a quilt for my sisters 50th bday in Feb.... Need to finish as she lives in Vienna and I am taking it with me ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
    We have a blizzard warning, as well. My daughter is home with us (vacation time from work) and we are going to watch movies and play around with my brand-new Viking Ruby!
    Congratulations on your Ruby. I had one for a yr and traded it for the Diamond Deluxe. Check out mrpatience.com for great tutorials using the organizer that comes with it. I'm not sure if you've seen yet but at viking they also have a free design and project each month for the embroidery machine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it; I did, so much I wanted even bigger hoops and more bells and whistles in one yr.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is so small, I have to straighten it just about every day or I would not be able to get in the door. Mostly I have been putting things away, getting ready for a fabric shopping trip tomorrow, and planning some of my2013 projects. Unfortunately, I have so much fun playing with my fabric, quilt books, and patterns that I seldom get much of anything accomplished. But I do have FUN!!!
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I'm so jealous that everyone is getting snowed on!! Long Island is just wet, drizzly and gray. I long for the white stuff, but since I have to trek about 45 minutes today to attend the wake of an old friend, I'm glad there is no snow to contend with right now.
    Be safe and warm, everyone.

Blog Entries
    My husband and I went to Illinois for Christmas. After hearing the weather report and warnings for 2 days we decided that Christmas night was a good time to leave. We left at 10 pm and drove until almost 4 am to outrun the blizzard. We drove until we hit the rain and stopped for a few hours rest south of Cincinnati, OH. We are so glad that we decided to leave when we did. My son and his wife who live in Nashville were not so fortunate since their route was too dangerous to drive.

It would have been nice to be home and quilt. Maybe today after I go rescue 2 stray pups, pick up an 1 year old Boston, go to the grocery store, take lunch to my husband, help my friend prepare for company, do laundry, and clean house that I will be able to sew! NOT! Even with all the hassles that life throws at me I feel blessed.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    All U have to say is: IS it spring yet ? We have received another 2 inches of snow along with the last round of snow which left 6 inches on the Patio Table (our measurement stick !LOL) and I am tired of looking at snow .. LOL

Cleaning up the sewing area/room? be careful I pulled muscles in the back trying to lift stuff !LOL :- )~~ after the hubs yelled at me for not calling him to help me out .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Jan, I haven't heard your opening expression in nearly a lifetime! Glad you had a good day in spite of the family emergency. We, here in East Tn., had an ememgency of our own, but finally ended up having a quite dinner with a friend here at our house. I now have to fold laundry, change my bed, and pick up the boxes, etc., from Christmas Day. Did I say I was a procrastinator? Then, on to putting a quilt together. I am still piecing a tumbler quilt but I think I have finally cut enough pieces to finish it. Have fun in this new year. Carolyn Jo in East TN.

Power Poster
    I can really relate. Since moving to a 2 bedroom apt. from a 3 bedroom home with full basement, saying that I have very little space is an understatement. Plus,instead of a sewing room where I could just leave my projects and pick them up when I got back to them. That's not to say that my room was organized and spotless, no way, but now I need to use my bed as extra space when doing most projects, so I need to remove the stuff before I can go to bed and when I'm extra tired, I don't do it neatly, which is most of the time. Now I want to start some new projects, but I really,really need to clean and reorganize before I can do that - my least favorite thing to do.. However, I'm not able to quilt and sew again after6 months of surgery and rehab for a ruptured disk in my neck, I'm just happy I can return to my favorite craft and stress reliever. Hope all had a great Christmas. I'm looking for a better new year for all, as my daughter is going through a tough time right now and her job is in limbo because of time off after an automobile accident in June. Ain't nothing easy.

It is cold here in central FL but no snow (DH started whining he wanted snow a little while ago) and close to or freezing tonight so I get to cover plants up again. I feel for all of you getting all the snow, I grew up in Quebec, Canada and then Buffalo, NY and then Canton, NY. DO NOT miss all the snow. So enjoy your time what ever you are going to do the next few days and be glad to be warm inside. And if you have a quilting room or space, and are going to organize it, be glad you have the space. Wish I did. Maybe some day.

BJ so sorry abouty our husband, it is hard. My brother in Canada had two back surgeries and still cannot stand on his own, let alone walk. It is so hard on my SIL and I will say a prayer for your husband and you too.

I came home from my weekly sew day with friends last Friday and dumped everything in my sewing room and closed the door. Since then I have put additional items in the room - and shut the door. I am going to have to face that room today because sew day is again tomorrow. It is soooo easy to "messy" things up when living alone. Happily I no longer care about what others think of the condition of my home...when it bothers me enough, I clean. But I find it interesting that I have not had the quilt urge this week. Guess there was just too much going on. Happy 2013 to everyone.

It snowed all night and blew up a blizzard. Got up this morning to lots of snow. I have a plow contract but he can't get close enough to the garage doors to do any good and that's where it drifts. I'm 5'8" and it was up to my waist. I also have a snow blower and after fiddling with it,it finally started. Heavy heavy (heart attach) snow. We haven't had a snow storm like this in a couple of years and it looks like our world is back to normal. Can't complain about that. I think we got between 18 and 24". Just another day in the northeast.
    Marilyn

Weatherman says more snow for us but not until around midnight, I won't start a project until next week or until I resolve my dilemma. Help is needed and wanted here...
    I have a Quilt for kids donation quilt that needs a binding and mailed asap, I some how managed not to get it sandwich in the best of ways, then when I was trimming the excess batting off, I cut the backing,! okay... so I cut the entire backing off thinking I will use the excess to make a binding, now I am not so sure it is going to be enough to accomplish that. Originally we are to leave an 1in excess of backing and fold and machine stitch using a zig zag. So my cause for delay Am stuck on what to do, we are not to substitute fabric into the quilt. Maybe ideas and help from you guys will get me unstuck Thnx bunches! JB

Heavens! I thought I was cold and it's 50 degrees here. After we moved back down south, I vowed that I would never shovel snow again--and so far I haven't. Bless all of you who are having such horrible weather. Stay inside, be warm and creative. Can't wait to see what you've made!

We got a foot of snow today here in Buffalo, NY. That is enough to stop everything here. That is ok with me, as the chicken soup is done and now doing the noodles, then, it is time to hit the sewing machine and get more quilts started. Really have to do two to finish them but that is ok, they are not going anywhere at this time.

I like your idea and others of doing the shovel thing, but God put it there so let him take it back. My hubby will do it here and there and I can continue to sew. Let's see some of these precious items.

One other question, how do you get rid of the lap tops etc. after making them. I seem to be hanging on to them. Maybe if someone would bring it back for me to view now and then it would make it easier.

Have a great day to all that write here.

Ginny

All of you up north stay warm, cozy and safe! We got high winds from the storm and the plants in my little front garden resemble stick figures with all of their leaves blown off. I am also tidying up my sewing spot from Christmas projects and am getting two quilts ready for my LAQ. I made my first large quilt tops for my grandsons and when they unwrapped them on Christmas they were so excited that tears came to my eyes. The boys are 12 and 13 and I can hardly wait for the quilts to be quilted and give the boys the finished gifts. Jan we are all thinking of you!

Blog Entries
    I am amazed at how calm you guys are at the prospect of a blizzard...I start to shudder when the weatherman says "flurry"! Then I can't sew once it starts because I spend my time going from window to window fretting about it! I am looking forward to going home to AZ! Stay safe everyone
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    So which quilting project shall I finish first????

Actually, it's marking this one quilt that I've been working on. Then I hope to finish the back so that I can baste it on Thurs...

Now, where's the shovel and where's the salt for the steps????
    Yeah, we are having a cold spell today, it's 62, he hehe
    Syl

We are having very cold days right now - I went out even though it was 59 degrees out there.

There's a couple gals on here that had better be looking for some place to hide-----------we'd love to see 45, for sure 59 and 62!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I'm gonna throw a shoe at all of them before they go to hide!!! I did get my quilt basted yesterday and it is on the frame and i've started quilting. Estimated time of completion: end of June....
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

We're expecting some snow too.....so it's off to organize my sewing room after the Christmas rush! Wish I had more storage space!

Blizzard ! ? I love it. I have always loved being shut up at home during a blizzard. If the children were home from school, we got all the work done pronto, and played games and played the piano and just had fun the rest of the day. I love watching the snow swirl. I watch for a while and then go and sew.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    There's a couple gals on here that had better be looking for some place to hide-----------we'd love to see 45, for sure 59 and 62!
    I really feel for you guys -- I lived in Minot, North Dakota, 20 below 0 and Germany, 4 degrees, --NEVER again.
    My daughter who was born and raised where it was cold still loves the 40 degree weather. At 40 degrees I'm in bed with the covers piled on.
    Syl

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
    I really feel for you guys -- I lived in Minot, North Dakota, 20 below 0 and Germany, 4 degrees, --NEVER again.
    My daughter who was born and raised where it was cold still loves the 40 degree weather. At 40 degrees I'm in bed with the covers piled on.
    Been to Minot once in my life---------January 1983 maybe? And it was about 40 ABOVE zero. Quite unusual for that town as I understand.

I'd take Florida over Minot, too!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast