Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This block, how do you make it right? >

This block, how do you make it right?

This block, how do you make it right?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Use a straight pin to line the points up and a dab of glue to hold the seam securely. No matter how hard you try the glue is paramount. I use a basting glue and just a tiny bit so I can open it up carefully and peek to be sure it is correct. If not, dab a little water on and try again, and again, and again. When all matches I then give it a little press with my little Clover hand iron to dry and secure and then stitch. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Is this a serious reply?
Yes I'm sure it was a serious reply, because I have taken a hammer to the centre seams before and it does help. (I'm not sure but I think it was a suggestion once from a tailor's shop)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM

I consider myself to be good at piecing, getting things on point, all that. Here's the thing.

. . .

Help?
It's been my experience that it is difficult to change the direction of a seam when paper piecing without changing the piecing order. You probably need to experiment, but if you piece two of the sub-units starting with 2, then 1 then 3 and two others starting with 3, then 1 then 2 they may nest a little better. I'd have to experiment. Also, you probably could use a mallet.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:02 AM

I looked at it closer and I know you've figured out a solution, but I would cheat. I would find a stripe print fabric in two colors that would work and fussy cut 2 opposite triangles so that the stripe falls on the old "seam line" the ones I am avoiding and turn it into an 8 seam center.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM

Is this a serious reply?
Yes. My friend Cindi swears by it. When all else fails and the seams are not laying flat to your satisfaction, whack it with a rubber mallet.

Sometimes I wish I could try that on certain people in my life.....
Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yes. My friend Cindi swears by it. When all else fails and the seams are not laying flat to your satisfaction, whack it with a rubber mallet.

Sometimes I wish I could try that on certain people in my life.....
You bet I do. And I don't bother with a rubber mallet. I have a hammer and a piece of scrap wood in my sewing room just for that purpose. I put a doubled piece of muslin on the top and bottom of the seam, put it on the wood and whack it a few times. Great way to work of some frustration, too....
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 PM

I did Carol Doak's 50 state blocks, and the only way I could get points to line up correctly was to remove the paper first, and then baste the parts that needed to line up before sewing the entire seam.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
...If needed - smash with a mallet as well.
During a class we all heard a bunch of pounding from Susan Cleveland's class next door. We all got up to investigate. Susan was demonstrating a technique to flatten multiple center joins using "The Wacker seams perfect." We all promptly went to the onsite store and bought every mallet they carried! LOL!

Here is where you can buy one: http://www.harvesthousequilting.com/...R&image=Search
Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 AM

You can find a rubber mallet very inexpensively at a hardware store, or a store like Harbour Freight. I've used both a rubber mallet and a regular hammer, with a wooden block underneath.... whatever's needed and as Cindi says, it's a great way to get rid of a little frustration too!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Has anyone used a Clapper? I like it, and it is more quiet!!
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/tailors+clapper.do