Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BLOCK Magazine >

BLOCK Magazine

BLOCK Magazine

Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 AM

I got the special edition and was not impressed; but then, I am not a lover of modern quilts. I knew when I ordered it that it was all modern quilts; but I thought that I would see at least one quilt I liked. Oh well, someday I may learn to like modern quilts and then it will come in handy.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 AM

Yes, I recieved mine about a week ago. I have to say I love the magazine. I have yet to make anything from them but I know I will make good use of them in the future. I just finished a new sewing room for myself, YAHOO!, so I can now try to make use of many patterns I have kept.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:56 AM

I got mine on Monday and think I will cancel my sub. also, not much in this one that I would use, liked some of the other books, but not worth the money to me.

g
t
Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 AM

mine came wednesday and I have made sample blocks of two, what fun! the only one that was not very interesting to me was the arrow one. The quilt block not the story, loved the story, just not interested in that one particular block.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 AM

I got mine last week.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Mine came Wed.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:41 AM

G
Originally Posted by heronlady View Post
I received my copy today. Skimmed through it, and I am thinking I'll cancel my subscription. Nothing popped out calling my name. Don't know exactly how to "unsubscribe" to it....guess I'll go to MSQ Webster and try to figure it out. I've enjoyed the other issues and will probably do some of the patterns, but probably none from the latest one.
I was really disappointed, too. This latest issue had nothing new and in fact, the Disappearing Hourglass Patch 2 was the only one that had any appeal. The color choices of most of the remaining quilts were a real turn-off for me. I love Jenny and her family but, my fear, is that they are taking on way too many projects, multiple stores, two magazines, personal appearances, video's, retreats, on-line store, shipping, etc and that somewhere along the line the quality and that special personal touch they are noted for will disappear...recent example would be the multiple errors found in their magazines and difficulty in finding corrections. I, also, don't see the need to produce a magazine (although absolutely gorgeous!) with the same quilt patterns already displayed in their on-line tutorials that are free. It would seem to me that to entice people to purchase a subscription one would offer something not available anywhere else. Just my opinion. I won't cancel yet but, right now, I'm on the line and still pulling for them.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

If you like one pattern in the magazine it was worth $6. Have you seen the price of quilt patterns lately? The last one I bought was $9 and it was a very simple two page pattern. The designer ones are over $30. Books are at least $20 or more. Fons and Porter has videos for the patterns in their magazine. Eleanor Burns has videos for her patterns in her books. Every magazine has a correction page on their website. Those that don't go online or don't check the website will ever know about the mistake until they figure it out. No magazine announces the mistakes they post them.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-06-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM

I received mine on Monday. Seems like they don't have enough help to handle the number of subscriptions, or they are in need of some organization. Seems to be a regular problem getting this outstanding publication to us.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I got the special edition and was not impressed; but then, I am not a lover of modern quilts. I knew when I ordered it that it was all modern quilts; but I thought that I would see at least one quilt I liked. Oh well, someday I may learn to like modern quilts and then it will come in handy.
My reaction was the same. Not a fan of the new product.