Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 769

Thread: Blue and white stars, block exchange sign up

  1. #501
    Power Poster littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,954
    None of us are perfect, and I wouldn't want to be. Those little imperfections give our quilts personality. I see nothing wrong with your block and would be happy to have one.

  2. #502
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words! I am afraid that I may have unintentionally insulted some of you. If I did, please accept my heartfelt apologies. In no way, shape, or form did I mean to imply that everyone's blocks were to be perfect. I am not perfect and I do not think I have ever made a completely perfect block in my quilting lifetime. I will cherish every single block I get in return for mine. Everyone has done their very best on their blocks and that is all that is asked. I just felt that the blocks I made were not the best I could do. Because these blocks are to be shared with my friends, I wanted them to be the best job I am capable of doing, too.

    My husband retired and we moved to Georgia three years ago. In that time I have not made a single friend. I am very lonely. When I found this message board, a whole world opened up to me. The very reason that I was so excited about doing this block exchange was the exact same reason that you all stated. I wanted to have a quilt made with blocks by the friends I have made on this board. I am on this message board every day and I have come to truly care about everyone here. The thought of being able to physically wrap myself in the love that I feel shared here was the driving force behind my desire to join in this block exchange.

  3. #503
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
    I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to have to pull out of this exchange. I just can't get my points to line up. And I don't think I have time to start over with an easier pattern.

    I don't want to send out my blocks with all the points chopped off. I hope you all can forgive me.

    Tricia
    Okay, Tricia--I am just going to say to you what everyone has been saying to me---perfection out the window. Do your best and mail your blocks in---we want a block you made---it does not have to be a perfect block!!!! I could not care less if your points are chopped off--some of mine are too-so there!!! :D

    Please change your mind--I did and I feel better for it!!

  4. #504
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Having said that, circles, rectangles, and triangular blocks would not be good! LOL ;-)

    The comment about wanting to wrap yourself up in love made me want to cry. I made a quilt last year for my nephew, he's 8 years old, out of his late father's t-shirts. It was a massive undertaking, to be done in a really short time, and was emotionally very very difficult. His father (my sister's husband) died of cancer at age 34 just three years ago. When I had finished I was so pleased with the quilt, but I didn't think that my nephew would really understand the significance of it, or appreciate it. But when he went into surgery to have his own cancer removed, the doctors wrapped him in his quilt and he said to them "it's like having daddy's arms around me".

    He doesn't notice the odd point that didn't line up, he doesn't notice where two colours ended up next to each other, he doesn't see any imperfections. All he sees is a quilt made out of his daddy's clothes, by his aunty, with so much love. And it will always be special.

    It's that age old saying...

    "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

    Taken individually, each block is nothing special, some are complex, some have minor faults, some are plain . But put them all together, and you have something special, something way bigger than just 12 blue and white star blocks.


  5. #505
    Super Member MollieSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,554
    Blog Entries
    1
    BlueChicken, you write beautifully! And Marcia, I feel the same as you do. I didn't get in this swap because I felt like I seen it to late, wouldn't have had time, I am now regretting not trying.
    You are all a wonderful gift! :D

  6. #506
    Super Member sewsewquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    2,170
    BlueChicken and Marcia beautifully said! :thumbup:

  7. #507
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    You guys just send those blocks in and I would be proud to get one because you are all my dear friends. Mine are far from perfect too. That being said, I'm getting really excited for the exchange. Can't wait to start putting my new friendship quilt together!!!!!!!!!

  8. #508
    Senior Member QuiltingTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    694
    My goodness, your guys' post make me wanna cry (in a good way). You made me feel so much better. I have been here beating my self up...you have no idea.

    I will continue on. I am going to keep on trying.

    Thanks everyone,
    Tricia

  9. #509
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    That's what I wanted to hear! Good for you Tricia!

    Glad you changed your mind too Marcia!

  10. #510
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
    My goodness, your guys' post make me wanna cry (in a good way). You made me feel so much better. I have been here beating my self up...you have no idea.

    I will continue on. I am going to keep on trying.

    Thanks everyone,
    Tricia
    WooHoo, Tricia!! I am glad you changed your mind :D And I do have an idea about how you were beating yourself up---I was the same way this afternoon!

  11. #511
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Mine are completely finished, got their little labels on them and are ready for the mail tomorrow morning!!!! Now I am really excited!! :lol:

  12. #512
    Power Poster littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,954
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Having said that, circles, rectangles, and triangular blocks would not be good! LOL ;-)

    The comment about wanting to wrap yourself up in love made me want to cry. I made a quilt last year for my nephew, he's 8 years old, out of his late father's t-shirts. It was a massive undertaking, to be done in a really short time, and was emotionally very very difficult. His father (my sister's husband) died of cancer at age 34 just three years ago. When I had finished I was so pleased with the quilt, but I didn't think that my nephew would really understand the significance of it, or appreciate it. But when he went into surgery to have his own cancer removed, the doctors wrapped him in his quilt and he said to them "it's like having daddy's arms around me".

    He doesn't notice the odd point that didn't line up, he doesn't notice where two colours ended up next to each other, he doesn't see any imperfections. All he sees is a quilt made out of his daddy's clothes, by his aunty, with so much love. And it will always be special.

    It's that age old saying...

    "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

    Taken individually, each block is nothing special, some are complex, some have minor faults, some are plain . But put them all together, and you have something special, something way bigger than just 12 blue and white star blocks.
    You bring tears to my eyes. You have just shown us all what quilting is all about. Thank you.

  13. #513
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    Perfection was not one of the requirements of this swap!!!! :D Lord knows if it was there would be none to swap!!!! The only thing that will be perfect out of this whole thing will be the finished quilts because they will be made with the love and caring of all our friends!!!!!!!!

  14. #514
    Senior Member QuiltingTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    694
    ok I am posting a pic of my first completed block......... It has some of the points missing.....and the first time I sewed it, it didn't turn out 12.5 (but I tried again,........and it WORKED) :)

    Here is the block I am working on:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #515
    Super Member Janstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cashmere, Wa.
    Posts
    3,950
    That's beautiful Turtle! I hope I get one!

  16. #516
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    I love it! love the fabric too! :D

  17. #517
    Senior Member mrsj82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    Posts
    847
    Wow, you guys are something else. This post is becoming more than just updates on the blocks. It's becoming the inspiration for me to keep sewing and to not beat myself up when I fail. (or think I've failed!) This board is wonderful, and I'm going to call my quilt "Friends, not blues". Because I feel like it. :P

    My blocks are far from perfect, but I hope that whoever gets one of mine realizes that it was done with my best efforts in mind, and I sincerely hope they will be accepted and loved the way I will love all of mine.

    *Huggles go out to my quilting friends*

  18. #518
    BlueChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    2,411
    Yayyyyyyyy! :thumbup:

  19. #519

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Randleman, NC
    Posts
    6
    Please email me the address to where I need to send the Blue & White blocks to my email address: [email protected] I have signed up a while ago and have 2 sets of 12 blocks done! thanks

  20. #520
    Super Member sewsewquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    2,170
    Quilting Turtle your block is beautiful!

  21. #521
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQueen
    Please email me the address to where I need to send the Blue & White blocks to my email address: [email protected] I have signed up a while ago and have 2 sets of 12 blocks done! thanks
    I sent you an email! :D

  22. #522
    Super Member KGoodhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,650
    That is a beautiful block!
    I am getting so excited to see what we all end up with and where they are from and what we all do to put them together!!!
    Is it the 15th yet!!!!!!!!!!???????
    Waiting is so hard!!

  23. #523
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    Quilting Turtle, Your block is gorgeous!! I am glad you changed your mind!!

  24. #524
    Senior Member QuiltingTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    694
    Thanks everyone. I finished them up tonight. I am posting a pic of all 12 together. I like the way they go together. Haha although I don't think i will be making more of them anytime soon :mrgreen:

    Sorry for the poor pic, took it with my cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #525
    Super Member Marcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,559
    I like the secondary pattern they make too--really neat. I am so glad that you stuck with it and finished them. :-)

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.