Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue and white stars, block exchange sign up

Alaskan Lady, your blocks arrived today and Littlehud your 2nd set also arrived today!!!! :D :D

Yahoo. I can hardly wait. I need to start planning what I'm going to do with them.

Thanks Melissa for the great news. Was getting nervous that I might not get them there in time. Now I can relax :D Can't wait to see who's I will get back. I'm excited!!

I sent my blocks off today. I honestly don't know how fast it will get there, so hopefully still in time to make the swap! I included a postage paid return envelope to send me blocks back. Hope I did it right!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsj82
    I sent my blocks off today. I honestly don't know how fast it will get there, so hopefully still in time to make the swap! I included a postage paid return envelope to send me blocks back. Hope I did it right!

you did right!! As long as we know they are on the way, we will wait for them!!! :D

This is so exciting, I'm so glad I got mine in on time!

Sweet! I cannot wait to see what blocks come back my way!

When Judy asked if anyone would like to do a block exchange I was the very first person to say yes. I was so excited about doing this. Now it is a different story.

I give up!!! I have been trying for over a week to make my star blocks and I quit! Nothing is coming out right and I am so frustrated that I have thrown in the towel.

I picked the laced star block off of quilter's cache. It is an 8" block, so I redrew it to 12". No problem. It is paper pieced so I divided it into fourths and took it to Staples and made 48 copies (4 for each of 12 blocks). No problem there. I bought 4 really pretty blues, ranging from light to dark and a white on white that has little tiny stars printed on it. Great-love the fabrics.

Cut everything out and paper pieced all 48 sections--no problems there--I had labeled everything really well, so no screw ups with the colors. I did run out of white and had to go back for more--little problem--no more of stars, so purchased white on white dots...still cute, problem solved.

Now, I have been trying to sew my sections together....BIG problems. Because I am paper piecing, the edges are all bias and are stretching--no 2 blocks are coming out the same size, the seams are not matching up, etc. I have tried leaving the paper on until I am completely done assembling them, tearing the paper off as I go, tearing off all the paper and then sewing, trimming each block first and then assembling, etc. NOTHING is working.

I had already resigned myself to spending an arm and a leg and sending these overnight mail in order to make the mailing deadline, but I am afraid that I am going to have to let everyone down and not participate at all. I am so disappointed, but I cannot pass off this pathetic example of a quilt block to any of you. Please accept my apologies. I have certainly learned my lesson---next time I will stick to something easier-something I know I can do.

It was a nice thought anyway
    Name:  Attachment-26267.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  27.6 KB

Oh dude... that looks stunning!!

I keep looking at the picture for the terrible result and I'm just not seeing it. One side looks slightly bowed? It doesn't look like it's out enough to be a problem.

It's not up to me, but my vote is that isn't enough of a defect to pull out. I'd love to get one of those back.

Wow Marcia, that block looks great! Where is the problem, is it in the ending size? Paper piecing can be a bear sometimes, but maybe between all of us, we can help you solve this one and at least you'll have 12 pretty stars for your own use.

I love the block Marcia!!! How far are they off? Judy will accept an 1/8" off. I dont want you to miss out on this!!!!!! :cry:

I'm with them *points up there* I don't see the horrible results...that looks simply stunning...maybe we can help?

I do the 1/8th thing too.... that's the limit for being "out" when I make something. It's very rare that everything turns out to be exactly the size it should be! lol

I think your stars look great, I'd love to get one.

Thanks for trying to lift me up, everyone. It is not so much the size as it is the wonkiness of it. (yes, wonky is a word) Because the edges are biases they do not lay as flat and smooth as they should. Plus, some of the points to the stars are not coming out perfect in the corners. If this was just for me, I would not worry about it-would just fudge a little here and there and deal with it. But it is for you all, and you have worked so hard on your blocks and you deserve my best in return.

Marcia If I always had perfect points or never cut off a point then I would say okay dont send them but since mine are never perfect I dont mind a little shared imperfection!!!!

Dude... you're stressing me out! lol

Mine weren't "perfect" either, now you've got me worried they won't be acceptable. They were well under the 1/8th margin, and the points were pretty spot on, although not all exact. I think they were pretty good, and I'm pleased with them.

You're being wayyyy too hard on yourself. Keep in mind too that once put together with a whole lot of other blocks, and its quilted, tiny little imperfections are not going to be noticed.

Judy received blocks from TEXAS QUILTS, Shellyp and Roben today!!!!!!!

Okay--I am going to not stress about the points so much. I have taken your advice and I am blocking and starching them. It is taking the wonky out and I am a little more pleased. Sigh of relief......I am back in.....

But remember, if you get one of these blocks and you are not happy it is your own fault because you talked me into this!!!

LOL

I can only speak for myself, but the attraction of doing this is to be involved in something joining women from across the world in a mutual love. The beauty of it will be in having 12 blocks made by 11 other women I've never met, and probably never will. Knowing how much time and effort has been put in by everyone, seeing fabrics we possibly haven't got here, designs I've never seen before, that's a huge buzz.

I love the idea of attaching some kind of label to each block. I haven't worked out how I will do it, but I'll come up with something. It's very much the process, rather than the product, for me.

I can't wait to look at the finished quilt, whether it be square, wonky, wrinkled, whatever, and think "wow, these have come from the other side of the world".

It's way cool, in any language.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Okay--I am going to not stress about the points so much. I have taken your advice and I am blocking and starching them. It is taking the wonky out and I am a little more pleased. Sigh of relief......I am back in.....

But remember, if you get one of these blocks and you are not happy it is your own fault because you talked me into this!!!

Yippeee!!!!! So glad your in!!!!!!! I will take full responsibility for any imperfections!!!!!! (now to find somebody to blame for my blocks!!!!) :wink:

And I agree with Blue Chicken 100%!!!!

Blue chicken was able to say what I wanted to say but couldn't. Some of my blocks didn't end up perfect. A few of the seams didn't line up as perfectly as I liked. However I know that I am doing it for someone else that isn't perfect either. The biggest part of this is to just get blocks from 11 other people and put them together into a shared interest. I think your blocks are beautiful, and I cannot wait to see one!

YAY!

Wooo Hooo Marcia.....they look great ......and I hope I get one too!!...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    Wooo Hooo Marcia.....they look great ......and I hope I get one too!!...:-)

Me too! You are way to hard on yourself but I hear you. Wanting thing to be prefect when doing them for someone else. Your star looks wonderful.

Marcia,
    I wish the blocks I already mailed had looked as good as yours do AND I would love to receive one of your blocks in the exchange. Now I am really worried you will be disappointed should you get one of my really wonky beginner stars. I did this exchange to get to know y'all a little better. I tried my best and then tried not to worry that anyone would judge me. And I have to say I was so worried after reading in another thread how someone here said that they knew someone who was asked to stop participating in exchanges because of the low quality of their blocks. But I have to say I have never felt that anyone here would ever do anything that sad.

Reading and sharing here the past six months I have found y'all to be helpful, playful, caring, and so generous with your time and limited funds and so now - I want your blocks. :wink:
    Take Care Maribeth

p.s. One little question/hint, I was told to never remove the paper until the borders were on the quilt to aid in stablilizing the blocks, so couldn't you just mail them with the paper backs and we will remove them when we are done? I certainly don't mind.

I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to have to pull out of this exchange. I just can't get my points to line up. And I don't think I have time to start over with an easier pattern.

I don't want to send out my blocks with all the points chopped off. I hope you all can forgive me.

Tricia

Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast