Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue and white stars, block exchange sign up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQueen
    I would like to sign up for this block exchange! Please add me to your list. What is the address where we send the block to? Let me know. Thanks
    I will PM you all with my address when we get a little closer to the deadline. I want to wait until we have everone in that wants to join, so that I dont have to try to figure out who I PMd and who I didnt.

So, Everyone, Please check the list and make sure if you want to join that I have you in the list. I have tried to keep up, but I can and do make mistakes.

Thank you all for joining in on this exchange. I am very excited to be working on this with you.

Banned
    bumping this to the top...for those who wanted to join this, please check the list and let me know if you are NOT on the list...

sorry if I missed you,

Hi, I want to join in also. I just have one question, and I'm sorry if someone has already asked. I did not read all the posts.
    Do all the star blocks that we make to swap have to be of the same pattern? Or can we mix up the patterns? Thanks

bj
    ddrobins...unless there was a post I missed in there somewhere that says different, I think they are supposed to all be the same. I guess that makes it easier for jstitch to group them and hand them back out to people. Did you see that you can do 12 or 24? If you send 24, you get 24 back. They're supposed to be finished and ready to mail to her by March 1.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
    Hi, I want to join in also. I just have one question, and I'm sorry if someone has already asked. I did not read all the posts.
    Do all the star blocks that we make to swap have to be of the same pattern? Or can we mix up the patterns? Thanks
    You make 12 identical blocks and send them to me.
    I will return one of yours and 11 different ones,
    so you will end up with a sampler of blocks

You may do one or two sets..ie 12 of one pattern and 12 of another pattern.

Ok, Great! Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I just have to decide on my favorite block. There are so many to choose from. :D

Oh, Elle,
    Sorry. I was referring to the public library. Ours has an extensive collection of quilting books thanks to our local guild. But, McCall's website also has that library of links on the left side of the page.
    Does this make sense?

judee

Quote Originally Posted by jstitch
    bumping this to the top...for those who wanted to join this, please check the list and let me know if you are NOT on the list...

sorry if I missed you,
    Where is the list posted?

Banned
    The list is on the first page of this thread, the very first post at the end of the directions

Thanks Judee, okay guess you have wonderful libraries there. Haven´t managed to enter one here in Spain LOL.

Have had another hunt through and found one I like, so starting soon on that project.

Elle

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Dear Organizing Queen (aka Judy)

count me in!!! ONe question since you haven't answered all that many yet (hahaha), is there a requirement on whether or not they are pieced or appliqued? Or just identical? How "identical" is identical??? OPPS, that was TWO questions! No,wait, my math is bad...that was THREE questions!
    :oops: :D

Between the URR quilt, the IRR quilt and chicken quilt challege this spring, i need to start a quilting calendar! Either that or quit hanging out with y'all! :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    Dear Organizing Queen (aka Judy)

count me in!!! ONe question since you haven't answered all that many yet (hahaha), is there a requirement on whether or not they are pieced or appliqued? Or just identical? How "identical" is identical??? OPPS, that was TWO questions! No,wait, my math is bad...that was THREE questions!
    :oops: :D

Between the URR quilt, the IRR quilt and chicken quilt challege this spring, i need to start a quilting calendar! Either that or quit hanging out with y'all! :lol:
    Ill put you on the list. you can use what ever technique you want. You decided what is identical.. similar is ok, I guess.

The rules here are pretty easy,, must be 12 1/2 unfinished and blue and white stars...and 12 in a set, you make as many sets as you want...and send them to me by March 1.. thats it

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_1101/

look at this star block...really great!

So I started making my blocks for this and when I got done I realized that they were 11 1/2 inches instead of 12 1/2....*sigh*

Now I have 12 11 1/2 inch blocks and no idea what to use them for...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsj82
    So I started making my blocks for this and when I got done I realized that they were 11 1/2 inches instead of 12 1/2....*sigh*

Now I have 12 11 1/2 inch blocks and no idea what to use them for...
    Sounds like a lovely lap quilt for a Christmas present to me!!!

Wow, great idea! I hadn't even thought of doing that...thanks!

Can you add a 1" border and make it work for the block exchange?

Or I can do that...again didn't think about that...thanks for the suggestion! :lol:

Please sign me up. I've had a blue and white quilt on my want to do list.

Lisa

Banned
    you're in... welcome

I've bought and washed my fabric, and cut up lots of squares. Just now wondering about advice on pressing half square triangles. I've seen the advice that I should press down with the iron rather than move it about, but are there any more tips specifically on how to press half square triangles? I'm hoping for perfect points... :?

That's right Sazu, pressing down without moving the iron around too much will keep your square in good shape. For me, the thing that can throw my block out of kilter faster than anything else is not keeping a consistent 1/4 in. seam. My machine that I use the most for my piecing, my old workhorse 38 yr old Kenmore, it does not have a quarter inch foot. But I made a mark where my fabric should line up to achieve that 1/4 in seam allowance and that's my bit of advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands
    I've bought and washed my fabric, and cut up lots of squares. Just now wondering about advice on pressing half square triangles. I've seen the advice that I should press down with the iron rather than move it about, but are there any more tips specifically on how to press half square triangles? I'm hoping for perfect points... :?
    Here is what I do when press all seams, including half square triangles..
    First lay the piece on the ironing board flat and press the stitches..
    Then lift the top piece and using your iron just above the fabric, lightly press the top piece away from the seam. Dont put undo pressure here, just press it open. This isnt ironing, but pressing..If you use a light hand, you wont have any trouble with the bias edges stretching..

practice it, you will see..

Banned
    OK I left out part of the instructions for the exchange.. sorry, Ill add it to the rules page also..

Please attach a little piece of paper with your message board id and if you want your real name on EVERY block you send me.. This is so that you know when you get them back who made the blocks in your quilt.

you can pin a piece of paper, or sticky labels.. anything that will stand up to me handling them during the re-distribution.

By the way, with all the participants, I think each of you will get a different set of blocks, so the quilts will all look different when done...

Banned
    Also, I have had a question about posting pictures of your blocks.. I say go ahead, no one is going the get the same set so, it would be nice to see them all.

Judy

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast