Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Winder >

Bobbin Winder

Bobbin Winder

Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

I have the sidewinder,and I love it.I wind bobbins for my Babylock and Janome also my Bernina embroidery machine and have no problems.A friend of mine doesn`t like hers.She said it doesn`t do her bobbins for her Phaff.Try it and see if you like it.I personally would recommend the Sidewinder as it was the first to come out.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

Love my sidewinder, especially when I'm getting ready to go to a retreat. Works great and only takes a little time to wind several bobbins.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ann S. View Post
So, does it not work with Juki bobbins?
I have the origional and it does NOT do the Juki bobbins. It bends the little metal thing on the spindle.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM

I have the Sidewinder Deluxe. It comes with adapters for most machines. I got it at Joann's on a 40% off sale and on a day where there was 25% off your total purchase coupon. I also needed the extension on the Deluxe version to use cones of quilting thread & serger thread. It definitely beats having to drag out my old mechanical machine just to wind bobbins. There are other, more commercial looking bobbin winders (K-Kraft is one) but they cost even more.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:26 PM

I use a Sidewinder to wind bobbins for my Husky +1. When it stops I push the green button to add more thread - doesn't fill them full enough. Works fine.
The pre wound bobbins I tried didn't fit my +1. Does anyone use them in a +1? Where do you get them?

Last edited by Bearpawquilter; 11-18-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM

i have a sidewinder and i love mine i got it half off at joanns and paid like 17.49 for it but they even have them at wally
world now lol i have to admit i got a new sewing machine after xmas last yr and ive never wound a bobbin on it. so yea i definatly use mine and when im sewing at my mil i use hers probably as much or more than she does i just hate to stop and unthread my machine to make a bobbin and then start over and if im on a project i do 3 or 4 at a time and i have a couple of basic colors done up ahead just in case i stop to sew on something else. that has been the most used quilting tool i think ive ever bought lol. and to think i almost didnt buy one i thought how lazy is that ?? well i was wrong )))).
carla m
Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 AM

I have the Sidewinder and the Deluxe Sidewinder. The Deluxe winds bobbins for a wide variety of machines and works great for me. I think one of the differences is it came with much better instructions on how to adjust the tension to get the bobbins would just the way you want them. I also like the fact that if I change sewing machine brands in the future it will probably work for whatever I might get. Check the box to see if it will work for your machine. I got mine at Joann's on sale as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 AM

I have the original one and use it all the time. More thread fits on the bobbin using the Bobbin Winder than doing it on my sewing machine and you don't have to re-thread.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by soozieq2 View Post
I have a Bernina 1090QE and I am tempted to ask DH to buy me a Bobbin Winder. Anyone out there have any experience with it? I noticed that there is now a much more expensive model. I wonder if it is worth the extra money. Thanks.
Instead of buying a bobbin winder, I bought one of the machines from WalMart for only a few dollars more. It does winding the bobbins quite well and, I have an extra machine to take to a class and/or day trip that I'm not afraid of damaging.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I have had my bobbin winder several years and it's not winding the bobbin evenly any more. I must continue to use it because the bobbin winder on my Janome MC 6500 is broken. I don't think it winds the bobbin tightly enough either.