Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobbin Winder

Bobbin Winder

I have a Bernina 1090QE and I am tempted to ask DH to buy me a Bobbin Winder. Anyone out there have any experience with it? I noticed that there is now a much more expensive model. I wonder if it is worth the extra money. Thanks.

I have the original one and it works fine for me. No problems at all.

Jim
    I bought one and took it back after winding or should I say attempting to wind a bobbin....it was very loose and not up to my likings at all...others love them and then others like me detest them..so you may want to try it and make sure to keep the receipt...just in case
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I use one all the time, although for Christmas last year and I got some pre-wound bobbins that I just love. They are much tighter wound and go forever. LOL
    Jo

I have a Sidewinder and I love it.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I would say buy it and try it. I have a winder on my new machine and it is great.

I bought one of the first winders and it would not wind the bobbins for my BabyLock Quilter's Pro which is what I needed to do. I returned it but have wondered if the newer ones were worth the money.

What are the newer ones called?

I got one of the original ones too, and it works great. I can pretty much wind any bobbins except for my Juki.

Blog Entries
    I use my cheap sewing machine for a bobbin winder when I'm using the big Girl to quilt. I also use it for non-quilting sewing so I don't have to change my settings/foot, etc. I love having it do bobbins, tho. I got it for $20

Power Poster
    I have a bobbin winder and I use it all the time.
    SueDor

It's on my Christmas list. Friend said she threw it out so I've been wondering. Think I'll leave it on my list anyway. Why would they not work? Not enough power, Bobbins too loose, inquiring minds want to know.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soozieq2 View Post
    I have a Bernina 1090QE and I am tempted to ask DH to buy me a Bobbin Winder. Anyone out there have any experience with it? I noticed that there is now a much more expensive model. I wonder if it is worth the extra money. Thanks.
    I have the Side Winder (JoAnn's) and I love it! I can do 12 bobbins at a sitting and that lasts a long time! As a matter of fact I am heading to Hancock today and get some more bobbins. I use ecru thread for sewing my squares together and I need a lot of bobbins! Super gift for the receiver and the giver!!!!! Good luck and enjoy. Edie

read the box it wouldn't work with any of my machines bobbins...

Mine sits in the box from year to year.

I bought one second hand that someone else probably didn't like. Looks brand new. I love it!!!!! Wish I had bought one years ago.

Blog Entries
    I have the Dritz bobbin winder. It took me a while to get the hang of it. You have to make sure the tension is right or you get a mess and a lot of wasted thread. Once I adjusted the tension, no more problems. It really goes fast though, you have to pay attention to it.

I have the pink sidewinder........love it! It works for all my bobbins.......the green Husqvarna bobbins need to be placed upside down. Just make sure the thread is in the tension disc.

So, does it not work with Juki bobbins?

Blog Entries
    I have both the Sidewinder and the Deluxe Sidewinder. I bought them because I have quite a few vintage sewing machines and not one of the bobbin winders work. I got the Deluxe Sidewinder because it had an extendable thread guide so I could wind bobbins off my thread cones. It also comes with spindles to fit different types of bobbins for various models of Baby Lock, Bernina, Brother, Elna, Handi-Quilter, Gammil Bronze, Janome, Pfaff, Riccar, Singer, Viking etc. Let me qualify that I don't have any of those machines (except a Brother) but it winds bobbins perfectly for my vintage Singers. The original Sidewinder had some issues but it still worked.
    Bernie

I have the sidewinder,and I love it.I wind bobbins for my Babylock and Janome also my Bernina embroidery machine and have no problems.A friend of mine doesn`t like hers.She said it doesn`t do her bobbins for her Phaff.Try it and see if you like it.I personally would recommend the Sidewinder as it was the first to come out.

Blog Entries
    Love my sidewinder, especially when I'm getting ready to go to a retreat. Works great and only takes a little time to wind several bobbins.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by Ann S. View Post
    So, does it not work with Juki bobbins?
    I have the origional and it does NOT do the Juki bobbins. It bends the little metal thing on the spindle.

I have the Sidewinder Deluxe. It comes with adapters for most machines. I got it at Joann's on a 40% off sale and on a day where there was 25% off your total purchase coupon. I also needed the extension on the Deluxe version to use cones of quilting thread & serger thread. It definitely beats having to drag out my old mechanical machine just to wind bobbins. There are other, more commercial looking bobbin winders (K-Kraft is one) but they cost even more.
    Beverly

I use a Sidewinder to wind bobbins for my Husky +1. When it stops I push the green button to add more thread - doesn't fill them full enough. Works fine.
    The pre wound bobbins I tried didn't fit my +1. Does anyone use them in a +1? Where do you get them?
    Last edited by Bearpawquilter; 11-18-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast