Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo, would you want to know?

Power Poster

Boo Boo, would you want to know?

I was wondering if someone spotted a boo boo on your quilt that was all done and quilted (and beautiful) and posted on QB, would you want to know one of the blocks had a mistake? I'm leaning towards not....what about you?

I think it would depend on if the quilt was to be a gift, or just a utility quilt to be used at home. I would also have to decide how difficult it would be to fix the problem. Just how noticable the oops is also plays into how bad I would want to fix it. The minor things that most non-quilting people never see (or know what they are looking at) I wouldn't fix. If it just glared at you, then I would want to know so I could at least attempt a repair.

I would probably want to know and then say that it was a design decision (creative license)! LOL

Blog Entries
    I think I would want to know - but really - was it suppose to be that way or is it really a mistake ???? LOL
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I would want to know -- then I could make the decision if I cared enough to try to repair it or not.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I'd want to know. . . and would probably get a good laugh out of it. If I gave the quilt as a gift, then later found out about the mistake, I'd feel terrible.

I would sure want to know. If I could not fix it I would not want to give it away to someone.

Blog Entries
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.

Yup, I'd want to know, too, for sure...but privately by PM, not posted on the thread with the pic for all the world to see throughout all eternity!! LOL
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I think it would depend on what the person who posted the quilt said about it. Did they say it was a gift, did they say they know it's not perfect, did they say it was a gift for a perfectionist? I would only tell someone there was an error if they asked for such feedback.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I would want to know, but I would probably like a PM rather than a post!
    I'm sure you could word it gently ;-)
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

If it was already quilted.. I would prefer to live in my ignorance. Since repairing a block once its quilted and having it look like it never happened is really risky.... I would just as soon not know.

Personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other. If the quilt was all finished, then the boo-boo probably wasn't that noticeable to begin with, and even if it was a gift, there is no way I would take it apart just to fix one little mistake.

While I don't make it a point to create errors in my quilts, I actually think a little slip-up now and then just adds to the charm of a hand-made quilt. None of us is perfect, and our creations are not perfect either. It's the meaning behind the quilt that matters the most.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

I would want to know if I made a boo-boo. Heck I might ALREADY know! LOL
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Letting me know would help me avoid the same mistake in the future...It might not change anything on the quilt, but could impact future work

Blog Entries
    I'd like to know. I made a huge error on my son's wildlife quilt and I never noticed until I saw its finished picture. It is now a design decision. I planned cornerstones in the borders so the flying geese wouldn't run into each other turning the corners. Two opposite corners have eagle blocks and the other two have colliding geese. At least they aren't on the same side. I can't change it and he wouldn't care if I did tell him, so I'm okay with it. I did learn something so all is not lost.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I would want to know so I could then decide what I want to do with it. If I had planned on giving it to someone who had an eye for quilts, then I'd not give it to them, I'd give it to someone else. I'd be embarrassed if I gave it to someone who knew about quilting and received my blunder.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    Thanks PaperPrincess for the PM idea! That sounds like the perfect solution.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.
    Some community, don't remember if it is the Amish or maybe it was the Shakers, believe that only God is perfect. They put in a mistake on purpose, since they are not God. Sure takes the pressure off me to be perfect, so I can just focus on being perfectly wonderful.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Would I want to know? Yes, but that's because it wouldn't bother me. Would I tell someone else? No, because it might hurt them.

The quilter probably already knows if there's a mistake. I wouldn't say anything. If it was mine I would think someone was looking for faults. One of the things i love about this board is how kind people are. I haven't seen one post of someone critizing someone elses work. You ladies make me proud to be a part of this QB.
    Before I speak,let me think first:
    Is it true, is it kind and is it necessary. If not, let it be left unsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
    Some community, don't remember if it is the Amish or maybe it was the Shakers, believe that only God is perfect. They put in a mistake on purpose, since they are not God.
    You do know that's a myth, don't you? The idea that your work is so good that you have to make an 'intentional' error is the height of vanity, not humility. Very un-Amish. Read the second article down on the Hart Cottage site for the truth.
    http://hartcottagequilts.com/his9.htm
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I'd want to know. . . and would probably get a good laugh out of it. If I gave the quilt as a gift, then later found out about the mistake, I'd feel terrible.
    this happened to me a few years ago. I didn't notice the mistake for quite a while. I noticed it in a photograph but obviously no one else noticed or at least no one said anything! I think of it as my proof that I'm not perfect, a la Amish

Blog Entries
    I would want to know via PM.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I had that happen to me, I finished a Harley Davidson quilt and showed it to a friend (I had already given it away), and the friend pointed out to me, a very small area that I had missed quilting, she told me I needed to fix it, since it is so much work to put a quilt on the quilting frame, I decided that it didn't make that big a difference, that my son was just glad to get the quilt. So no, I wouldn't want to know.
    Aronel aka Lee

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast