Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo, would you want to know?

Blog Entries
    i don't think i would ever look at someone else's quilt picture and point out what i thought was a mistake- unless the person asked- something just isn't right but i can't see it---
    if it is all finished and they are happy enough with it to share it i would never be so presumptious that my design thoughts should match theirs--or is the 'right way' and theirs is a wrong way=
    all of my quilts have plenty of mistakes- sometimes i see them & fix them- sometimes the quilt is all done & i notice it- and leave it- it is the (personality) of the quilt...if i am having a problem i'm not afraid to ask---what is wrong with this? why is this not working? but if i make a quilt- finish it and believe it is as it should be i would be pretty *stunned* to have someone start picking it apart and telling me i did it wrong- not that it has never happened- i've ran into my share of (self-proclaimed quilt police) over the years....but i would never consider doing such a thing to a fellow quilter.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    I think if it was something that I could easily fix - like I missed quilting part of a design - then I would like to know about it so I could take care of it.

I would want to know for sure.

I would like to know, but it depends if I would fix it. I had this happen on a star block quilt I made. One of the points was reverse. I gave the quilt to a non quilter and let her know there was a mistake, but she had to find it. Well it has never been found, and she said that makes her quilt special and unique. It is like I said, it depends on what the quilt is going to or for what use.

I'd want to know, so I could laugh at it. No one or anything in this world is perfect...just that we don't notice the itty bitty errors. I bought a quilt off ebay...to practice on...and the person selling it said one lemoine star block was not purple flowers, it was blue... The top was perfectly made...so, I am guessing it was done on purpose..there is a saying.."only God is perfect.".... so, some put one block upside down, or put in a different color, as in this one.
    My former Sis in Law says she has two really pretty tops, but her grandma must have run out of blue fabric on them, as one block was in red. I showed her my quilt...so now she is going to have me quilt them...now that she knows it was intentional on her grammas part... "only God is perfect."... funny, she was going to throw them away...now they are precious things her gramma did.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I was wondering if someone spotted a boo boo on your quilt that was all done and quilted (and beautiful) and posted on QB, would you want to know one of the blocks had a mistake? I'm leaning towards not....what about you?
    I have one of those "Great American Quilts of ??" books. In the center there is a beautiful picture of a quilt - However, right in the center of the quilt is a block that was put together wrong (4 patch turned wrong direction). It doesn't detract from the fact that the quilt itself is beautiful. It really isn't that noticeable; however, I was a beginning quilter and was really searching how they had put the blocks together.
    Name:  BestQuiltOf.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  396.3 KB
    Name:  BestQuiltOf-Detail.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  66.2 KB

Oh this is a tough one! I THINK I would want to know.

The Amish always make a mistake in their quilts because only God creates perfection.

I would want to know, if it is easily fixed I would, but if It's not an easy fix I would point it out to the person I'm gifting to and let them decide if they would like to have it warts and all...believe me I have had and continue to have mistakes here and there but that doesn't stand in my way of offering the quilt as is..and I have never had anyone say they don't want the quilt...
    Kitty

I think it would depend on the size of the "boo-boo". Sometimes a small error can disappear once the top is quilted.

Blog Entries
    This question gets asked a lot. I havent read all the answers but i bet someone resurrects the urban myth about some culture which deliberately puts in mistakes. No such culture is known to exist!

Please, please if I ever post a pic of my quilt and you see a boo-boo please tell me!

I think it would depend on how the person pointing out the mistake presented it. I don't think anyone on this board would be rude about it. I might want to make the same quilt again and would not want to make the same mistake again. , so I guess I would want to know.

i appreciated being told before i quilted it, that the top i posted for quilting suggestions had a square with a reversed piece. i did end up fixing it because it changed the whole picture of the finished quilt. After it was machine quilted, probably wouldn't care though i might not gift it to a perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I was wondering if someone spotted a boo boo on your quilt that was all done and quilted (and beautiful) and posted on QB, would you want to know one of the blocks had a mistake? I'm leaning towards not....what about you?
    Well, I'm thinking I would want to know...but in a PM (private message). Don't send it out for everyone to search for.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Blog Entries
    No, I wouldn't want it pointed out if I hadn't already mentioned a mistake. no one is perfect, so no quilt is required to be perfect either.
    notifying in a PM is a great idea. perfect!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Sure I would want to know. If we can't be honest with each other...

Please don't offend me or laugh at me.
    Assure me that I'm normal.
    Remind me that none of us are perfect.

But I'm a perfectionist, and always want to do my best even if it means pulling out the entire center. I will quite often show my quilt to the membership here before getting it quilted. I hope that if I've got a block out of place, backwards or just should swap a couple of blocks, that someone will tell me. I don't want to discover it after it's quilted. If it's already quilted - just ask me if I noticed it.... then I can decide what I can or can't do to fix it.

Hugs to all the other imperfect quilters. (You know who you are)

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Would I want to know? Yes, but that's because it wouldn't bother me. Would I tell someone else? No, because it might hurt them.
    My

My thoughts exactly.

The Amish always put one little mistake in each quilt because nobody but God is perfect. I agree. None of us is perfect. Most non-quilters would not notice a boo boo if you didn't point it out. I say don't worry about it.

Norma

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
    This question gets asked a lot. I havent read all the answers but i bet someone resurrects the urban myth about some culture which deliberately puts in mistakes. No such culture is known to exist!
    I learn so much from this board. I stand corrected. I had always heard that the Amish put a deliberate mistake in each quilt. After reading noveltyjunkie's post, I did some research. This quote is from Machine Quilting in the 19th Century.

"The subject arose in a June 2000 Quilt History List discussion. Quilt historian and AQS appraiser Bobbie Aug, who has taught pre-1940 Old Order Amish-style quiltmaking, said she once spent a week with an Old Order Amish family. The Amish quilters she asked about the "humility block" were aghast. To them "an intentional error is saying just the opposite - that their work is perfect and that they would have to be purposeful in order to make mistakes."*

After 20 years of research among the Amish in Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania, Bettina Havig has developed close connections with Amish quiltmakers; she's written two books on the subject. Ask an Amish quilter about the "humility block," she says, "and the answer will be 'I make enough mistakes without making them on purpose'." Havig dismisses the story as "just one more attempt to romanticize an aspect of quiltmaking." She notes that not only has she found no evidence supporting this tradition among the Amish; she hasn't found "any sort of quilt superstition" in that community."

I also make enough mistakes without having to put a deliberate mistake in a quilt. I guess I will have to claim creative license! lol

Norma
    Last edited by nstitches4u; 04-29-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Of course I would. Otherwise it's a bit like "The Emperor's New Clothes", isn't it? Any adult doesn't have to be kidded. Of course, there is a way of telling which is informative and constructive as opposed to rude and derogatory.

I would want to know always..I am curious...

Nothing I make/do is without a "boo boo"...and I do mean nothing. Whether it be cooking, sewing, talking, cleaning, doing my office job, or raising my children - they all contain errors.

Would I want to know about each and every one? mmmm probably not or someone would be telling me about stuff all day.

Someone asked me if I make stuff to sell and my reply is always, "I only make stuff for people I really like and I don't like that many people.". So if I have taken the time to make something for someone, you can bet your booties there will be an error in it. Will I correct it? Probably not. Do I want to know about it? It won't matter because it was made with love and nothing will change it so the error will stay.

I can't imagine not wanting to give your gift to someone because it has an error in it, glaring or not. I'm glad I'm not that hard on myself.

As far as telling someone else...only if they asked and wanted the cold hard truth...otherwise, nope.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.
    I've been told they make the mistakes because ,no one is perfect ,only God .

Jim
    I would only tell them if I knew them personally and know that they would rather know. I wouldnt want to risk hurting their feelings about it or appear to seem superior in my knowledge of quilting. I'd prefer to think they knew and that I didn't see the mistake...than to risk hurting their feelings about something they were so proud of.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast