Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo, would you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Yup, I'd want to know, too, for sure...but privately by PM, not posted on the thread with the pic for all the world to see throughout all eternity!! LOL
    I agree with ghostrider. In a pm would be nice. And I would be nice about it also. Some people can be unkind and like to point out others mistakes. Since I am ssooooo not perfect, I cant afford to throw stones. lolol

Blog Entries
    i feel the same way. sometimes we can stare and stare and never see it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

If its already quilted, I would not think it could be fixed, I would want to know, though.

Blog Entries
    Never, unless it is going into a show. I'm just not that interested in mistakes. A finished quilt is a beautiful thing with or without mistakes. I have no guilt and if anyone wants to criticize, I'm like a duck, I have oily skin. I'm glad to finish anything!
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 04-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You do know that's a myth, don't you? The idea that your work is so good that you have to make an 'intentional' error is the height of vanity, not humility. Very un-Amish. Read the second article down on the Hart Cottage site for the truth.
    http://hartcottagequilts.com/his9.htm
    I hope heart and brain surgens don't follow this rule!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

yplease feel free to tell me. of course most of mine are knowingly left in there to add character.

Maybe I'll just start naming all of my quilts, "Humility."

Blog Entries
    Nope, lol, A boo boo is your signature that you didn't know you wanted to add. lol. Perfect is over rated.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I would sure want to know. If I could not fix it I would not want to give it away to someone.
    Same here. It may be fine for me but not a gift.

If I make a quilt and I quilted it myself and didn't see the mistake, I don't think I would worry about it. If I posted the quilt and someone else saw it and posted their comment on the board that there was a mistake, I say shame on them.
    Isn't there an old saying that if you have nothing positive to say, say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Would I want to know? Yes, but that's because it wouldn't bother me. Would I tell someone else? No, because it might hurt them.
    I agree with dunster. I would want to know, but I would not tell someone else.

Really, people? Have you EVER made a "perfect" quilt?

O. K., this has happened to me. I put a piece in backwards, didn't catch it. Had it quilted, finished, the whole deal. Then my "friend" (lol, she really is my friend), said La, La, you made a mistake! Anyway, I called my LAQ told her the problem, she said she would re-quilt it for me. I took the quilting out, fixed the error, took the quilt back to her, she fixed the quilting. Then I put the binding back on. The only good thing is, the error was down at the bottom in the corner. Thank the good Lord for small favors. If it had been up in the middle, I would have said I did it on purpose!

I'd want to know!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.
    the Amish, it has been told, will have a "mistake" in their quilts......reason being.......humility....only God is perfect.

I would want to know and I would like to see how many people noticed it. I have heard of a lady who always puts one in wrong cuz she says we are all not perfect and I agree, I have made that mistake and the quilt is know on my daughters bed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.
    When I went to a lecture at the Amish Quilt Museum, the speaker said that the Amish always put a "mistake" in their quilts (called a God's Eye) to recognize that only God can create something perfect. There is your answer to any criticism - humility is often the best course.

Power Poster
    I've never had to make 'a deliberate mistake' -

I just make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I think it would depend on if the quilt was to be a gift, or just a utility quilt to be used at home. I would also have to decide how difficult it would be to fix the problem. Just how noticable the oops is also plays into how bad I would want to fix it. The minor things that most non-quilting people never see (or know what they are looking at) I wouldn't fix. If it just glared at you, then I would want to know so I could at least attempt a repair.
    If it wasn't too bad, I'd leave it. When I croheted, if I found a mistake, it stayed in. The reason? Machines usually make perfect things, I don't. My two cents worth.

Blog Entries
    I would not care. My family looks for a mistake because it has become sort of a trademark for them. It has turned into quite a game with them. I am not perfect and that is what I tell them to remember when they find that mistake. In other words just because I am a mom a grandma and a great grandma does not make me right all the time
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    If it was already quilted.. I would prefer to live in my ignorance. Since repairing a block once its quilted and having it look like it never happened is really risky.... I would just as soon not know.
    I wouldn't either. I have one that I entered in the fair and it won grand champion. Got it home and was folding it up to put away and found the mistake. I was sick, cause I couldn't do anything about it. Now I'm not proud of that quilt.
    Barb

Blog Entries
    our guild had a raffle quilt members made and showed before quilting...at the bottom one block was turned completely around. I spotted it and looked around waiting for someone to say something. it was going to the quilters and after a half hour I couldn't stand it anymore...I asked if anyone had seen the block turned wrong...gee whiz everyone yelled at me, why didn't I say something sooner...LOL, it could have gone to quilters...I looked around and said very calmly, "why didn't anyone else see it????? no answer but I did get cold shoulder from some people that had worked on the quilt...oh well...
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lillybeck View Post
    I would not care. My family looks for a mistake because it has become sort of a trademark for them. It has turned into quite a game with them. I am not perfect and that is what I tell them to remember when they find that mistake. In other words just because I am a mom a grandma and a great grandma does not make me right all the time
    Bet you are right more often than not!!! :-)

Power Poster
    I would definitely want someone to say something if something looked 'out of place' BEFORE it was finished. If it needed changing, then would be the time to become aware of it!

I'm ambivalent about having errors pointed out after the item is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Would I want to know? Yes, but that's because it wouldn't bother me. Would I tell someone else? No, because it might hurt them.
    I agree with you.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast