Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo, would you want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I think it would depend on what the person who posted the quilt said about it. Did they say it was a gift, did they say they know it's not perfect, did they say it was a gift for a perfectionist? I would only tell someone there was an error if they asked for such feedback.
    having done this with a block turned backward, a nice applique solves a lot of problems

Heck, I would not care at all and would wonder about the reasons that someone would feel it necessary to post or tell someone about a mistake at that point. I even left in a crazy mixed up block "just because". I saw people taking pictures of the overall quilt and no one at the guild pointed out the huge not to be missed mixed up block.

Either the person will not care or you could really hurt others by pointing out mistakes that either cannot be fixed now or are pretty minor. Kind of like saying your baby is ugly or pointing out an obvious birthmark. Would anyone do that?

RDM
    Blog Entries
    IMO depends on if glaring mistake, if not, then I'd probably let it pass. If it was opportunity for a teaching moment and gracefully stated, that's beneficial. It it was an intended gift, I would then keep it and consider something different. Makes me think might be better to surprise gift a quilt in case mistakes deter the giving of it and you have to go to plan B.

I usually leave a small mistake in all of mine. It says.....this is hand made with love and not by a big ugly machine. Most of the time no one even sees it. smile

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I think I would want to know. Then I could make a decision whether to gift it or not. I've heard people used to make a mistake in their quilt. Have no idea why.

Blog Entries
    Nope. Done is good.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    Gosh no just make out like the picture of the owls where there is one hanging upside down, and nobodys perfect. After all the work we put into a quilt lol NOBODY'S PERFECT: thank god
    Ladyredhawk

I did have this happen to me... I had a finished top with a bottom corner block upside down. I didn't think it bothered me that it was pointed out. This was someone I didn't know. But it made feel -- well -- less accepted by this person. I know that none of that is logical and I intellectually accept that, but my gut wouldn't let it go. So I wouldn't point out a mistake except to someone I know pretty well or if I was asked to evaluate the work.

Not unless I said "Anyone see any mistakes ?" !

I think I would only want to know if I asked for a critique, and then only if I had not done intense quilting (like someone mentioned, it is so hard to fix that!). Also, QB members might spot something your average citizen would not.
    :-)
    CAS

People who receive a quilt as a gift from me had better be glad to get it even though it may have a mistake. I try to be sure that people who receive quilts are "quilt worthy," which is to say they have an idea what the materials cost and how much time and labor went into planning and executing the plan. If they want flawless, they need to go to someone else to get a quilt. And I really don't want to know there is a flaw if it is too late to fix it. froggyintexas

a lesson learned

There was an old story that only God is perfect and thus we make a little error so as not to offend Him. A lady brought an old set of blocks her Mom had made. When she told us this story she asked if we experienced quilters could find it. I never did and after we all failed we saw it as she pointed it out. She may of been making the mistake on purpose. I would not want to offend or hurt her feelings. Marvel
    Okie quilter

I would want to know so I could then make the decision of how to proceed: fix it, leave it, disguise it, et cet.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Look at my Avatar I have a whole row put in upside down Everyone tells me thatit looks fine but I really would like to take it apart and fix it so I would prefer to never know if it was wrong rather than forever think I should take it apart If it wasnt already quilted I would take it apart

Blog Entries
    I agree with the rest who have said they would like to know via a PM.

No, unless it stood out to everyone else BUT me. Nothing in life is perfect and yet beautiful at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyredhawk View Post
    Gosh no just make out like the picture of the owls where there is one hanging upside down, and nobodys perfect. After all the work we put into a quilt lol NOBODY'S PERFECT: thank god
    I have not seen the picture of the owls, but it is so true. Another thing I should have mentioned, I never make claim to perfection in anything I do and most people are the same. There are others, though....who just love to do just that. Oh well, is all I can say.

I posted a picture of a quilt I had hand quilted and someone asked if I had skipped a line of quilting. I had! And I quilted it before I sent it on to the owner. I appreciated her asking me about it. Of course that was easily fixed. If a block was sewn together wrong and it was pointed out after I had quilted it...hmmmm.....most likely I'd be trying to ignore the mistake and hope no one else noticed.
    Thimble and Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't care one way or the other. If the quilt was all finished, then the boo-boo probably wasn't that noticeable to begin with, and even if it was a gift, there is no way I would take it apart just to fix one little mistake.

While I don't make it a point to create errors in my quilts, I actually think a little slip-up now and then just adds to the charm of a hand-made quilt. None of us is perfect, and our creations are not perfect either. It's the meaning behind the quilt that matters the most.
    I agree. I would not want to know.

Blog Entries
    I would want to know. But probably wouldn't care, and wopuld appreciate it cuz it's hand-made.

I would want to know. I would respect the person who was brave enough to tell me. And cared enough and knew I would care.
    This is the "spinach in your teeth" or Your slip is showing" question with a new twist. NOt nearly as readily remedied but the "right thing to do" is very clear.
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

I planned it that way....

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I would probably want to know and then say that it was a design decision (creative license)! LOL
    Just finished a bird in flight quilt and one block is sideways......just like I planned!

Blog Entries
    It happened to a friend of mine. It was spotted at our sit and sew, after quilting. She was horrified. We said we understood and it has happened to all of us at one time. Do do happens. We're not the quilt police and advised her of that much. She felt better, but I feel terrible because she will never be proud of that quilt. IF you didnt know the pattern, no one would have guessed. If they did, they wouldn't be sure. I feel bad that one of the ladies pointed it out in the first place. She had never noticed herself. It was a shame. If she tears into the quilt, it will never be the same. It was LA quilted too. Sometimes we should learn to bite our tongues and defer judgement.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I completely agree with you! And you said it better than I would have
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i don't think i would ever look at someone else's quilt picture and point out what i thought was a mistake- unless the person asked- something just isn't right but i can't see it---
    if it is all finished and they are happy enough with it to share it i would never be so presumptious that my design thoughts should match theirs--or is the 'right way' and theirs is a wrong way=
    all of my quilts have plenty of mistakes- sometimes i see them & fix them- sometimes the quilt is all done & i notice it- and leave it- it is the (personality) of the quilt...if i am having a problem i'm not afraid to ask---what is wrong with this? why is this not working? but if i make a quilt- finish it and believe it is as it should be i would be pretty *stunned* to have someone start picking it apart and telling me i did it wrong- not that it has never happened- i've ran into my share of (self-proclaimed quilt police) over the years....but i would never consider doing such a thing to a fellow quilter.

I heard this on the Dr. Phil show one day and it is such good advice (I believe he credited his dad), "Never miss an opportunity to remain silent." Pretty salient advice. Another one that I try to live by, "Will it matter in 100 years?" If not, let it go.

Blog Entries
    These are my thoughts:

Finished/done is better than perfect!!!
    I ain't perfect and don't make perfect things. BUT, I do make things with love and that is what counts.
    I can usually see the booboos and if you must say something, say it nicely and not in front of God and everyone else.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast