Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Creek Station mystery quilt 2011

I don't see why they wouldn't have you tried going to their website to see if you can order it from them directly we only started this month so plenty of time to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Just found this- sounds like fun ! I don't have a LQS doing it , wonder if they would share with a Quilting club/Group ?

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    Just found this- sounds like fun ! I don't have a LQS doing it , wonder if they would share with a Quilting club/Group ?
    As suggested already, do send them an email. The designer is very "close" to her business, and chances are you will get a lovely personal email with the info you need. One of the other posters is in the USA, and has done these BCS mysteries before, so with that, we know that they do deal with the USA. Or perhaps she'll deal directly with you, and email the directions each time. YOu have nothing to lose by asking!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kat112000 View Post
    I am! Still haven't cut out the first two installments, but plan to soon! I got it in the reds.
    Great to see you are with us Kat ... how be you start, by showing us the fabrics you are committing to? And then after you complete each clue!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
    Help I'm kind of stuck on the Part 2 step, I have the two strips sewn to Fabric 1 what length are you cutting the sections into it says 3 X 8? that doesn't give me enough sub cuts. What measurements did you do for your subcuts?
    Oh dear! Sorry you're having problems. And hope that any instructions I give you here are correct! On the plus side, I picked up Clue #2 yesterday, and took my first set of sewn pieces to my LQS for show and tell ... and she didn't go OMG, you did it all wrong. So I'm thinking this will be correct.

For step 2 ... you have three strips 3" x WOF. So when you sew them together, they become 8" x WOF. Then you chop them off at 3" intervals, which gives you the 3"x8" sizes. I stopped once I got to the required 12, which then left me a piece 8" x approx 6" (depends on the original WOF).

Hope this helps ... and look forward to seeing your results!

Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    QuiltE those fabrics look great, and I LOVE the quilts in your link. Great job.
    Sheila, another blue! yay!

Ok ladies, you have to keep me motivated, I'm quite the girl for my head becoming easily turned by a newer and prettier fabric.
    I think we are like two peas in a pod!! I call it, Quilters ADD ... as I can oh so easily flit from one fabric project to the other. Thus, I stash of WIPS, UFOs and PhDs!

I'll nudge you ... show us your stuff, please YukonLady. I now have Clue #2 .... we'll see if I stick with FWS this weekend? or take a break and work on this "big" stuff!

I can't get the board's system to upload my pictures it keeps telling me the file is too large (well it is) but I don't know how to cut the file size down, has anyone had to do that to get their pics to load?

I'm all done cutting the first one, we can't get our 2nd clue until next weekend - and of course were out of town that weekend great lol

How is everyone else doing?

Oh darn! ...
    I know there is a file size max, and I know others have made them smaller. Luckily, I have not had to deal with this, being that I am SO not a techno-geek. So, sorry, I can't help you. Perhaps check the help section on the Board?

I'm excitedly awaiting to see your first clue results.

Blog Entries
    sheila_h you can use any free software editing program to resize your pics such as picasa. i know there are some others that are free online. also if you are using microsoft office 2003 there is a photo editing program attached. you would use microsoft office picture manager to open your photo, click on resize, reduce your photo (i use the web small choice), save the pic (under an altered name to keep your original unchanged) and then upload the new resized photo.

check whatever software you are using to open and view your photos on your computer and see if there is a resize feature. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
    I can't get the board's system to upload my pictures it keeps telling me the file is too large (well it is) but I don't know how to cut the file size down, has anyone had to do that to get their pics to load?

I'm all done cutting the first one, we can't get our 2nd clue until next weekend - and of course were out of town that weekend great lol

How is everyone else doing?

Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I do not know what a mystery quilt is. I have an idea, I guess, from your posts, but can someone please give me some details? Sounds like something I might be interested in. Are they only obtainable from your LQS? If so, I'm probably outta luck as mine is about 50 miles away! Thx!

Edit: Oh, I just realized most of you are in Canada. Ooops. Do we have these in the US?
    Last edited by KerryK; 11-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.

It's just that you don't have any idea of what the quilt will look like until you start putting the blocks together. Each month they send out new instructions for the next block, for example on this month we just cut fabric strips and then joined and subcut a set and they get put aside. Then the next month you work on the next clue (block) and as it progresses you need to start trying to figure out the answer to the mystery.
    It's my first time doing this as well and so far I'm having fun! If you go to the designer's website there is an email address for her I'd send her an email and see if she'll send you the project sheets. I know a few others have asked that question as well.

Blog Entries
    kerryk there seems to always be a mystery quilt project online somewhere. you will just need to do a search for one. i know there is currently a mystery quilt along on this quilt board currently for a mystery quilt that quiltville is hosting. its called the orca bay quilt along. i looked at some of bonnie hunter's quiltville past mystery quilt alongs and her quilts are a bit too traditional for me.

check out the link and perhaps you can catch up with the current group on this board. http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...g-t168935.html

here is another mystery quilt project that just ended nov 21st hosted by american quilter magazine & one of their designers. i saw this initially but didnt get back to it. i do like this quilt. you can take a look at the parts and the finished quilt. maybe you will want to do one someday. i plan to when i find just a little extra time. good luck.
    http://www.quiltviews.com/beyond-the...ilt-the-finale
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I do not know what a mystery quilt is. I have an idea, I guess, from your posts, but can someone please give me some details? Sounds like something I might be interested in. Are they only obtainable from your LQS? If so, I'm probably outta luck as mine is about 50 miles away! Thx!

Edit: Oh, I just realized most of you are in Canada. Ooops. Do we have these in the US?

Good Morning Ladies ...
    Welcome, KerryK ... I think the other ladies have given you a pretty good rundown about Mystery Quilts. Basically, you go with the "risk" of not knowing what you are making. They will tell you up front how much fabric and of what types you need. And as mentioned, you are told what to do with each clue, not knowing what your finished project will be like! Of course, we start guessing and for this BCS one, after Clue #1, I was guessing something with an Irish Chain feel to it .... will be interesting how I change that idea after Clue #2. And how wrong I am once completed!

Some will give clues monthly, weekly, or even hourly! There was one a few weeks ago online, that several on here did. It was a Sunday, and they posted clues about once an hour. There's one coming up on New Years Day that I might do.

And too, if you google it, you'll find several that are sitting and waiting for you to do your own pace. Resist the temptation to look ahead at the later clues and get the feel for it.

Hi All!
    Just waiting for you all to post some more photos so I can get more ideas about fabrics and such. I haven't purchased any fabric yet and january seems a long way off. Keep posting and I'll keep watching.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljs317 View Post
    Hi All!
    Just waiting for you all to post some more photos so I can get more ideas about fabrics and such. I haven't purchased any fabric yet and january seems a long way off. Keep posting and I'll keep watching.
    Lisa

I agree, LJS ..... my photo is lonely and would like to see what others have done!

I have Clue #2 now, though haven't completed it as I've been focusing on my FWS. I'll be sure to post when I get to it. Which might not be til I know #3 is ready to be picked up, as I won't do that til I have #2 done.

Blog Entries
    Hi all!!!!! Man it feels like forever since I`ve had a chance to visit.
    Ok, first off, I finished Clue #1 and on Saturday will be getting Clue #2 from our shop. Yay!!!!

I have photos but they are still on my camera, I`ll get them onto the computer soon, promise.

I was wondering, should we move this thread to the forum where they have BOMs and quiltalongs (I`ve forgotten the name of the forum).
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Ok come out come out where ever you are! I'm missing you all and want to know what you are all up to on the mystery.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I am working on getting on board... I found a stateside quilt shop but you have to buy the fabric from them, so maybe I will go back to the designer and see how much they would charge me to send it straight to me ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

SheilaH and YukonViv ... pictures??? mine are lonely and want friends!

LJS ... we're boycotting you! (kidding!!!!!!!!!!) ... I'm in Christmas sewing mode now, and then will do Clue #2, before back to FWS

SharonB ... definitely email Sherry/designer. I e'd her in the fall about something and she was back to me in no time. At my LQS we had the option to use the selected fabrics, or from our stash. Even my LQS owner is using from her stash, so I have no guilts on doing so. Just a little more risque, being that I haven't gone with the chosen fabrics .... though that's 1/2 the fun, isn't it?

All ... If you're up for some fun, how about joining SheilaH and myself in the Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler quilt along, starting here on the Board in January???
    YukonViv ... are you going to Pony up with us?
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...ml#post4771890

I'm still having a photos too but I'm having issues getting them down to a size that I can post them any hints on how to shrink the size of the files would be greatly appreciated. I was sick all week so I haven't gotten #2 yet on the clues plan to do that this week.

Bcm

Ok I hope this works I tried to change the file size so see if it shows up, sorry the lighting is off I'll try and get better pics to post later.

This is the first month done and now waiting on getting the next set of instructions. Sheila
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all
    love the new pic, i love those colors the quilt shop in our area had to sub the blue because it was all sold out when she placed her order. We do have the red but i am going a different way i think. I haven't made up my mind about the fabric yet.

Quilte, Boycott really?????????????????? What are you thinking? You can't keep me from peeking. And I just might be in the pony club also.

Lisa

SheilaH ... Lookin' good .... similar to the BCS colour option. Sorry, I can't help with the pic problem. My suggestion would be for you to ask JeanieG over on the PCS threads. She's helped me out a few times on the new format and seems to be right up there on the computer-ese stuff! Send her a PM.

LJS .... Too bad on the sell out, but heck, live on the wild side and do your own thing!!!
    wheeeeeeeee!! trot on over to the PCS thread and let your commitment be known!!!! Better still, do it with a gallop!!!

SheilaH .... good news ^^^^^^. Another in the posse!

Here's Clue #2 for your Christmas gift ...... and stay tuned, as #3 will be ready for you tonight or tomorrow morning.

MERRY
    CHRISTMAS to all the BCS'ers!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltE; 12-23-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mine looks just like Sheila's!!!!!!

I haven't done clue #2 yet, but with all of next week off I have tons of time.

I'm thinking about the Pony club...I can't order it until sometime in January though so it's a bit iffy.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Quote Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
    Mine looks just like Sheila's!!!!!!

I haven't done clue #2 yet, but with all of next week off I have tons of time.

I'm thinking about the Pony club...I can't order it until sometime in January though so it's a bit iffy.

That's good news for you on your BCS plans. You've put it out there for us now, so you've given yourself accountability to be able to do it! I'll be looking forward to seeing your twin to Sheila's!

Re PC ... When you get the book, you can join in at whatever blocks we are at. Then catch up on the earlier ones later. Sound like a plan? Hope so!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast