Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border length Way off.

Border length Way off.

I measured my quilt through the middle and cut my borders accordingly and they are Wayy too short. At least 1 1/2" too short on both sides. It is just a baby quilt.

Do I attempt to ease that much in? How did I go so wrong on Both sides?

I could piece a little bit to each one I suppose, but it will look silly.

Watson
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-12-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Can you put blocks in all four corners of the border? Even if they have to overlap the quilt edge, that might work.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

How 'bout piecing in a little bit around all 4 corners in a coordinating fabric so it looks sort of like like the old photo-mounting corners (if you're old enough to remember those (-: ). Then it would become a design element...

Cut the borders in half and put a coordinating piece of fabric between each half of the border. It'll look like you meant to do it.

1.5 inches is too much to ease in. When the quilt is washed the border will shrink and the quilt will take on a shallow bowl shape. Ask me how I know...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    The technique that I use for border measurement is measure thru the middle and both ends, then average the 3 measurements.
    I also agree that 1.5 inches on a baby quilt is a bit too much. I would cut the border in half and add a contrasting strip of fabric.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Take a good look at the blocks in the quilt. It might be a case of a few of the blocks being cut a little 'off'--not quite square. 1 1/2 inches is a lot of difference in a baby quilt. I think I would lay it out and go over the whole thing with a ruler, checking to see where the problem originated, before doing anything with the borders.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster

If you are short on your borders, I would either run a piece of the pattern into the border if it's a pieced quilt top or add corner blocks.

Easiest for me would be to do the cornerstones. It could be a design extension from the quilt.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I would rip out seams at least 1/3 in and add another color rectangle. one must measure, cut and pin center, ends and in between. you will get better.

I would figure out why it is so "off" and see if it can be fixed. If not, pieced or cornerstones. Piecing usually disappears once it is all quilted.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    Take a good look at the blocks in the quilt. It might be a case of a few of the blocks being cut a little 'off'--not quite square. 1 1/2 inches is a lot of difference in a baby quilt. I think I would lay it out and go over the whole thing with a ruler, checking to see where the problem originated, before doing anything with the borders.
    Ditto! 1 1/2 in to too much off and would drive me crazy until I figured out what went wrong. You may need to just square up your quilt top but that much off sounds like to some pieces within the design is wonky... Don't sweat it tho...easily fixable. You could do a pieced border using quilt scraps.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I would remeasure the quilt and the borders to make sure there was no mistake. I have done that and found I had in deed made a mistake. You also could make cornerstones for the corners it would involve cutting the border and then adding the cornerstones it would not look silly.

I make a lot of quilt tops for our church and I often skip the “measure” step before attaching a border. I’ve found if I pin the border every 6” to 9” then the border doesn’t seem to be wavy.

I agree with cornerstones. It will look like you planned it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I also would add cornerstones.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    That is an awful lot to ease in. Do something 'on purpose' to make the borders longer. Cut them in half and add a piece in the middle of each, cut in thirds and add a piece (my favorite for balance) or do something in each corner. The point being, make it look like a design element instead of a mistake - no one will every know!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Measure across the quilt toward each edge and in the middle. Add those three dimensions together and divide by 3. That gives you an average. Then cut your border to that average length. That should be less to have to ease.
    Also, make sure to distribute the extra across the entire width (I usually mark both pieces in the center and between again). Then I pin A LOT. Make sure to put the longer piece to the bottom as the feed dogs will help pull in the extra fabric. If you are worried that it won't work, you can always run the seam with a LARGE basting stitch (like 5mm). That way you can take it out EASILY if it doesn't work. And if it does work, you just sew over it again with a regular stitch.
    Last edited by MadQuilter; 01-13-2018 at 10:36 AM.

It sounds like a bias problem that has been pressed wrong to me. Those little buggers grow by themselves if you just look at them wrong. I would go with the color key in the middle of the border too. It may add a little interest too.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

My first thought was cornerstones also.

I have been interested in reading other comments about how this might have happened and how to prevent. Always something to learn here!

Blog Entries
    I am curious which pattern did you use? I made a quilt with lots of bias edges, squared the blocks, went on a 2 month trip, came home and the blocks were no longer 8.5 inches. I was not impressed. I sewed it together and although it should have been square, each of the 4 sides was a different length.

By this point done is far more important than square.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.