Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
border suggestions for Bargello >

border suggestions for Bargello

border suggestions for Bargello

Old 10-19-2018, 07:28 PM

Default border suggestions for Bargello

I know I am planning ahead a bit, but I have this Bargello top half finished, and my brain wants to know what border to put on it.

I am thinking of a light blue inner border and a darker blue outer border. Does that sound like a good idea? I need to go buy some more of the darkest blue fabric if I go that route, so I thought I might ask what folks thought. I have enough of the dark green, but ….well, just looking for input.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The second half of the top will be a mirror image of what is on my design wall right now...

Dina
Attached Thumbnails bluegreenbargello6.jpg  
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM

This is so pretty, Dina.... I like you color idea. Have you thought of doing the outer border white instead of dark blue. You could even do a mini white first border, mini light blue 2nd border...then the white 3rd border....then dark blue binding. That would give it a floating effect.. I suppose you have to decide what kind of effect you want and where you want the eye to go. I love the colors you chose for this....to me it's really soothing and a dark border may change that effect. It will be beautiful when done, either way.

Last edited by Teen; 10-19-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 AM

What I did on my 1st and only bargello was continue the focal fabric onto the border and binding. Here's what I did. Also I used a solid for the border too which I think was the darkest fabric used.
Attached Thumbnails full-bargello.jpg  
Old 10-20-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
What I did on my 1st and only bargello was continue the focal fabric onto the border and binding. Here's what I did. Also I used a solid for the border too which I think was the darkest fabric used.
That is beautiful! You have to be very pleased. I was thinking of the darkest blue I used in the quilt, not a darker blue. I probably ought to actually finish the quilt before I make any decisions. I am, however, going to go buy some more of the blue fabric I am thinking of using. I don't want them to run out before I decide what I want to do. If it isn't what I decide, well, my stash can always use another blue.

I love your Bargello.

Dina
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 AM

I like the idea of using the focal fabric as the border (dark) - as Snooze2978 did. I think dark stops the "wave" of the bargello, and frames it, making the center the star. Beautiful quilt!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:34 AM
DJ

Beautiful quilt! Snooze2978 has a great border idea for you.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 AM

I like that piece that has the white in it. Counting the darkest blue, the 4th one to the right. How about a skinny border of a solid blue and a wider border in the blue/white? Do you have enough to do that?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I love the way you continued the pattern into the border! Awesome
Old 10-21-2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I like that piece that has the white in it. Counting the darkest blue, the 4th one to the right. How about a skinny border of a solid blue and a wider border in the blue/white? Do you have enough to do that?
I like your idea, but, alas, I don't have any of that fabric left. It was a 10 inch wof piece, and I used every inch of it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have decided to wait until I have all of the Bargello pieces sewn together and then do some serious playing with border choices.

Dina
Old 10-21-2018, 07:21 AM

No borders. Let the bargello stand alone. If you need it to be bigger, add bargello strips.