Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Borders on a Jelly Roll Race >

Borders on a Jelly Roll Race

Borders on a Jelly Roll Race

Old 02-03-2021, 01:29 PM

Default Borders on a Jelly Roll Race

I did a jelly roll race background and did a large applique down the centre. When I measure it for borders, the length now measures longer on the sides than it does in the middle by about 2".
I usually go by the measurement down the middle, but that is a lot.
What measurement would you go by for the border length?
Thanks, Watson
Old 02-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

I would cut the borders the length of the sides. I would then put a mark in the seam allowance of the center measurement. I would then pin, pin, pin the edges to the border easing in as much as you can to see if you can get it it to the center mark. 2 inches is quite a bit to ease in but you might be able to get some out and then sew. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I would try to cut some off the sides first of all. Then try to add something to the middle to make a little longer. Without seeing it I'm not sure what might work.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Could you square it up without interfering with the appliqué?
Old 02-03-2021, 05:35 PM

I'm guessing the applique maybe pulled up the middle some, can you use a little starch and steam to shrink up the sides some?
Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 PM

I realize it is too late now, but Alex Anderson recommends when Appliqué is added to center that the borders be put on quilt first as appliqué does. Change size of pieced parts. Sorry this happened to you ,,,hope the suggestions are helpful to you

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 02-04-2021, 04:23 AM

You can try to average the 3 length measurements and use that to cut borders. Another option is to stitch a little more allowance from the applique out to the edges. Maybe alternate strips down the sides.That two inch difference may result in wavy borders.

You may also be able to create some shrinkage with starch along the outer edges.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:01 AM

ummm...trying to think here.....what I am thinking is that quilting a top usually shrinks the whole quilt down....I sometimes loss 3-4 inches when I quilt a large quilt....so what if you just cut the borders the same size as those outside measurements? Perhaps if you did a fairly close quilting design, the "background would shrink in the process to more match the center? are you planning on doing anymore quilting in the applique part? If so, I would do light quilting to minimize further shrinkage in that part....just an idea....don't know if this would work or not.....
Old 02-04-2021, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear! Some good ideas for your dilemma. Which way are your strips going...horizontal or vertical? If they are vertical, I wouldn't hesitate trimming off from the top and bottom and squaring up the quilt a bit.Good luck and let us know how you solved your unexpected problem.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:44 AM

Thanks, everyone.

The strips were running horizontal, so I just didn't stretch them all the way out and it came out really close to the middle measurement. Put the borders on and they look OK, so far.

Watson