Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Borders? >
  • Borders?

• Borders?

Old 02-25-2021, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prhrn
    Here is a better picture - when you said grey, I realized the green looked grey lol.
    The green seems a bit overpowering to me, so I didn't want to use it as a border, was hoping a border might actually tone it down. The bright yellow actually has little white dots in it and will be 2 inches finished.
    Love the colors!! I still stick with my original suggestion (just with a change of colors (lol). Love the first yellow border as is. I would then add a small border (finished 1/2 to max 1" wide) of one of the greens then maybe another 3" border of the yellow if you have it or something light that would compliment the rest of the quilt . Here is my thought process on doing that... The green is dominant and a zigzag diagonal. A small darkish border will "frame it" imho and keep your focus in the center. The outside light border will enlarge the quilt without drawing too much attention away form your pretty center.

What ever you choose - it will be gorgeous. Make sure you post a picture when you are done!!!

Edit: Just saw the yellow and green flowered fabric and the blue grunge in the other picture. A really small green border in place of the blue I think would tie it all together

Last edited by eparys; 02-25-2021 at 06:06 AM.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:04 AM

I tend to add borders even if it doesn't call for one as it keeps all those seams from coming loose. Your quilt looks great and a border would really showcase the center. I try to use a fabric that I used in the quilt itself or one that would compliment one of the colors. Great job for a beginner as you call yourself.
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:21 AM

My previous post took forever to write, as I tried to edit it and then lost the edit. I didn't see your photo with the blue. No, I wouldn't use the blue. Betty's idea is a good one.

bkay
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:23 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds a bit small to me. I would add another border. Such a pretty quilt!
    Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    Love the colors!! I still stick with my original suggestion (just with a change of colors (lol). Love the first yellow border as is. I would then add a small border (finished 1/2 to max 1" wide) of one of the greens then maybe another 3" border of the yellow if you have it or something light that would compliment the rest of the quilt . Here is my thought process on doing that... The green is dominant and a zigzag diagonal. A small darkish border will "frame it" imho and keep your focus in the center. The outside light border will enlarge the quilt without drawing too much attention away form your pretty center.

What ever you choose - it will be gorgeous. Make sure you post a picture when you are done!!!

Edit: Just saw the yellow and green flowered fabric and the blue grunge in the other picture. A really small green border in place of the blue I think would tie it all together
    I think I understand. I hung it up and tried pinning, well pretty much everything, on it - I have so much fabric left to choose from lol. Using a skinny white border then repeating the yellow border just doesn't work, as you said it needs a darker color to frame it. The lightest green is actually a polka dot and seems to work well yay. Not sure I'm loving that yellow as a second border, so will add the green then "audition" the others. I'm leaning towards my favorite floral, but will try 1 step at a time.

Thank you for the kind words.
    Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM

First of all, I like lots of color and I like your quilt. If you have more of the palest green, that could be a good border to calm things down. A dark green small border, then the paler green. Glad you're getting lots of good suggestions here.
    Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM

First of all Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Your quilt is vibrant! The second picture is much better and I now understand the current border. I would also try another border pulling one of the floral colors. The colors pop especially because of the darkest of the greens. I like it though the way it is. Again welcome to the QB!
    Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Finished!!

Thank you all so very much for the welcoming and kind words and suggestions! I ended up replacing that first border with a light yellow polka-dot, then added that light green polka-dot border and a small print floral that had both those colors and "Easter blue"; then did the binding in Easter blue. I also changed the backing from being white to the yellow floral I used in many blocks. It matches mom's den so she can fold it to just show that side. And finally, I quilted a large diamond pattern. I was really pleased with the result and she seemed to like it as well.

I definitely need to work on taking pics cause it really did look better than these show lol. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails 20210301_142001.jpg   20210301_141917.jpg  
    Old 03-03-2021, 02:07 PM

A great quilt and finish. Be proud of yourself!
    Old 03-03-2021, 02:53 PM

It came out very pretty - fresh and spring-y - and aren't we all ready for that?

Nice job!