Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boston Lone Star >

Boston Lone Star

Boston Lone Star

Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Terri Morin
Hi All - I'm new to this blog. It seems like we all can be very helpful to each other, as well as being good on-line friends.

I need a little help. My son is getting married in a year or so, and, of course, I want to make him and his fiance a very special quilt. I made my daughter a double wedding ring star, which turned out simply gorgeous. I'm thinking of making Matt the Boston Lone Star, which turns out to be a combination of a Boston Common block and Lone Star. My problem? How do I (a) find a pattern for a king size? or (b) develop my own pattern? And, then, how do I determine how much fabric? I'm one to find a pattern and follow directions, but this one looks so very, very special, I just have to make it. Any advise or help?
Perhaps someone on this board with EQ can combine the designs and use that software program to come up with the picture and the fabric requirements........I would give it a try for you if I had it.........
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Originally Posted by Terri Morin
Hi All - I'm new to this blog. It seems like we all can be very helpful to each other, as well as being good on-line friends.

I need a little help. My son is getting married in a year or so, and, of course, I want to make him and his fiance a very special quilt. I made my daughter a double wedding ring star, which turned out simply gorgeous. I'm thinking of making Matt the Boston Lone Star, which turns out to be a combination of a Boston Common block and Lone Star. My problem? How do I (a) find a pattern for a king size? or (b) develop my own pattern? And, then, how do I determine how much fabric? I'm one to find a pattern and follow directions, but this one looks so very, very special, I just have to make it. Any advise or help?
Perhaps someone on this board with EQ can combine the designs and use that software program to come up with the picture and the fabric requirements........I would give it a try for you if I had it.........
That would be so fantastic. Since I'm so new to this board, I'm flabergasted anyone would do that.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 AM

It is gorgeous quilt. Not a bad price. Something like that here goes for over $1,000. And that one is hand quilted to boot.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Make the center medallion, then use the rest of the area to make your own 'round robin' style borders to finish the size you want. A king size quilt is a square, so the math is fairly easy. Remember to post pictures! Welcome a-board, too!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 AM

It looks fairly simple after getting the Lone Star done. THAT's the tricky part. And thanks for the welcome :). So far, I'm loving it!!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 AM

If you break it down into steps, it actually doesn't look as complicated as at first blush. You can do the star by strip piecing, then do the trip by strip piecing as well...? The linked quilt is breathtaking.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Isn't it amazing? I've found directions for strip piecing the star, and the "Trip" shouldn't be too hard at all. Fortunately, I've got quite a bit of time to do this.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

It appears that no one has found a pattern for this design. It is my opinion that it is Amish designed. It looks typical and again my opinion there is no pattern available as they are kept rather close to home since the qultmaker is probably noted for the specific design.
So, my best advice is you need to graft the pattern out in order to duplicate it. You an start with a commercial pattern showing sizes of the center such as Eleanor Burns book but from then on you need to determine the sizes. But when you do, work in even inch incriments which will be much easier. You an get wide graft paper at a Blueprint Shop or art supplhy shop. It comes in 42" width. Work on the square corners to get them the size you need and then add small borders between that part and the center if you need to fill in for fit. A classic design story silimar is when Jinny Byer designed Ray of Light back in the 80's she did the center and then the border and they did'nt fit so she just added some narrow strips between the two until they did fit.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks. Good advise.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 AM

If you have the two block patterns, I can draft them for you in EQ7 to any size you want. It would show the layout, yardage, cutting instructions, and a coloring sheet. PM me if you are interested.