Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bottom Line or InvisaFil for EPP? >

Bottom Line or InvisaFil for EPP?

Bottom Line or InvisaFil for EPP?

Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 PM

I just started doing some EPP last summer. I've just done hexies so far and I'm loving it. I would love to take a class, but after a couple months of searching and not finding any classes in my area, I gave up and watched youtubes. I've tried several techinques and flat back is the one the I like the best. It didn't take me too long to get used to the technique.

My quilt guild used to have a bee for handwork, but the last time I looked it seems to have disbanded. Its a shame. I'd love to go to that one.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM

I made some of these! i appliquéd the group to my block with a matching thread - nothing special.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]610575[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0004.jpg  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I just started doing some EPP last summer. I've just done hexies so far and I'm loving it. I would love to take a class, but after a couple months of searching and not finding any classes in my area, I gave up and watched youtubes. I've tried several techinques and flat back is the one the I like the best. It didn't take me too long to get used to the technique.
I was just sitting here, practicing that flat back technique, trying to get better at it. It really does look much better on the front than just whip stitching it. My problem is that I want it to be pretty on the back too, but I'm having a hard time making the stitches on the back nice and even. I suppose it really doesn't matter, but that perfectionist side of me...

Besides watching YouTube videos, I bought a couple of books that have been really helpful :
Flossie Teacakes' Guide to English Paper Piecing by Florence Knapp and
All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland.

Both good books, but my favorite is the one by Florence Knapp. Besides teaching a lot of technique, she also includes some of the history of EPP and the benefits of working with your hands. She also has a blog/website that I like a lot. The Diane Gilleland book has some projects, in addition to the techniques.

Charley26, that looks great! I'll probably do something similar with mine.

Last edited by SherylM; 03-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Hi Sheryl - don’t worry about the back as no one will see the back when the pieces are stitched down and worrying about it will just take away the joy of stitching especially when your just starting
Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by daisyandjack View Post
Hi Sheryl - don’t worry about the back as no one will see the back when the pieces are stitched down and worrying about it will just take away the joy of stitching especially when your just starting
Thank you for that! Now I need to print it out and hang it up as a reminder...

Oh! And welcome to the board!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM

I think I use decobob or invisafil, both are wonderfil threads
Old 03-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
Well, I went ahead and ordered a couple spools of InvisaFil in charcoal and off white and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I also ordered an EPP kit for a Storm at Sea quilt. It's on my bucket list and I've been trying to decide what method I want to use to make it, because I want to start it fairly soon (before the end of the year.). I've tried foundation paper piecing, and I'm not a fan. I was thinking of using Deb Tuckers rulers to make it, but I think, for me, the EPP is the way to go. Not the fastest way, but that's fine. I can work on it a little here, a little there, and not have to worry about chopping off those points!
I am just finishing a paper-pieced Storm at Sea. I love the accuracy of the points!

Anne
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM

I have tried both of the Bottom Line and Invisafil. I like Invisafil better. But Bottom Line isn't bad either. It is really just a preference thing to me. I could use either.

Sue Daley has a ton of videos on YouTube as well. If you are looking for patterns, don't forget to check out some shops that have freebies out there. Paper Pieces and Dutchess House are two good ones.

Our guild has an EPP Bee that meets every other week on a different night from our guild meeting. There are about 6-10 of us at any given time. We have a good time with each other. If your guild doesn't have a group, try starting one.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Anne P View Post
I am just finishing a paper-pieced Storm at Sea. I love the accuracy of the points!

Anne
I'd love to see it! Can you post a picture?

PS Stitcher, I subscribed to Sue Daley's YouTube channel and I've already ordered some papers from Paper Pieces.

Last edited by SherylM; 03-21-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 PM

I learned how to do the knicker knot, but the knot looks the same as putting your needle through the loop twice before tightening the thread. Is there any difference?