Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought mismatched fabric >

Bought mismatched fabric

Bought mismatched fabric

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM

I would take it back and show them what happened, I would think they would make it good, they can sell it for fq's or remnants. unless you just want to use it for something else
Old 01-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Joanns takes any fabric back so I would take it back and get the right one.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM

take it back , i have taken fabric back to jo anns before because of a flaw that i saw after buying it , just make sure that if you get the money back they give you back the whole amount you paid one time they were going to give me back all but a certain amount because it was a return , i told them no it was there fault and i wanted all my money back and i got it
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM

return it.
they will replace it.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by skydiver70
Take it back and show the manager, and explain what happened. They might cut you another piece if they still have enough on the bolt.
Take it back. You are allowed to return cut pieces. You're right, though. The cutter should have told you.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM

If you can't use it for something else, I'd take it back too. They should have said something to you when you bought it.
Janie
Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
Originally Posted by doxieloverred
I would take it back and ask for 3 yards in a continuous piece. They must have rolled the last yard from one bolt onto the new bolt instead of making it a remnant. What I don't undersatand is why the clerk said nothing! Especially since most people want it in one length. We have great JoAnn clerks, I can't imagine that happening. But, if nothing else, take it back so they can use the situation as a training tool.
Our local JoAnn's does this all the time. I picked out fabric a few months ago and the clerk did point this out. I wanted 3 yards of the fabric and took the last yard of that which was wrapped into the beginning of the new bolt and then had her cut 2 more yards as they were the same pattern and the colors matched. When I got home there was only the 1 yard piece in my bag. The 2 yard cut was GONE, but I was charged for 3 yards of it. When I went back with my receipt, the store manager said they "never" roll the leftover from one bolt into a new bolt and anything left at the end of the bolt is either sold to the last customer at the remnant price or put into the remnant bin. It took a little arguing, but they finally refunded my money for the 2 yards.
I have seen this time and time again at one of the local JoAnn's; they DO roll pieces of fabric onto another bolt, and so I watch them unroll and cut every piece, and I always get the fabric in one continuous piece; the dye lots are different in many cases. The clerk should have alerted you to the fact that there was a 1-yard piece on the bolt and given you the opportunity to chose what you wished to do.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Most people don't know that if you have not cut the fabric after getting it home, you can return it. Granted you probably need the receipt. I do think the person cutting your fabric should have told you there was a separate section of the print and asked you if you wanted that or one whole piece of your required yardage.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM

TAKE IT BACK, the person who cut your fabric should have noticed it. Do take the material with you to make sure you get the exact match.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltinPaws
This Joann's is going out of business and they are giving 25% off all fabric. Said they lost their lease. This was quilting 100% cotton and absolutely gorgeous. I spent about $200 on fabric when I bought this. There was 2 clerks in the store. One was just cutting fabric and the other was manning the cash register and cutting. I had let 4 people go ahead of me as I had a basket FULL of bolts and fat quarters and they only had one or two bolts. I wasn't paying attention.

I thought about tea dying but am afraid that it would darken or muddy the flowers too. Don't want to take that chance. I will go back to the store and see if they will exchange that piece.

The idea for two quilts as was suggested is possible. I have some red material that will be beautiful with it and some yellows that will be awesome with it too.
Sounds like you have already solved the problelm with the red and yellow...