Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought mismatched fabric >

Bought mismatched fabric

Bought mismatched fabric

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Joanns will take fabric back as long as you haven't cut it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

return it.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 PM

I would take it back
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 PM

I called the store and they stated that all sales were final as it is a store liquidation - however since it was their fault they would refund my money. I was looking at it and it is SOoooooooo pretty and there is enough (about a yard on one and 2.5 on the other piece) I have decided to keep it. I can use it in a quilt and it will be beautiful.

It is a real wakeup call to really check my fabric while in the store and to get all of it from ONE piece off the bolt. Good lesson. Maybe this will help others on here too. I know some have already learned it. Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion. It has been very valuable.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:09 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftyone27
I would at least give the store a call and speak to a manager. You might be pleasantly surprised at their willingness to make this right. If there is enough of the fabric left on the bolt, I'm almost positive they will give you a 3 yd cut in exchange for what you have now. At least give them a chance!! Good luck !
I agree. It is very likely than an overworked clerk combined and the clerk who waited on you did not notice. This does not mean that you should have to pay full price for something that is not what you wanted.

BTW while color precision is much better than it was previously, even the expensive fabrics have some problems with color variation, although it sounds as though these 2 were supposed to be different.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 AM

Oh no! I guess you will just have to purchase more fabric to make 2 quilts. LOL, what a lovely difficulty!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by doxieloverred
I would take it back and ask for 3 yards in a continuous piece. They must have rolled the last yard from one bolt onto the new bolt instead of making it a remnant. What I don't undersatand is why the clerk said nothing! Especially since most people want it in one length. We have great JoAnn clerks, I can't imagine that happening. But, if nothing else, take it back so they can use the situation as a training tool.
This is what I would do also. I have had this happen but thank goodness I caught it before I left the Store.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovequilts
if you love the fabric take it back for them to replace the one yard
totally agree.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM

If you just want to make one quilt, use sashing in a blendeer between these two mis-matched pieces. It could be very pretty.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM

I am a little late to the game, but I will share with you what knitters/crocheters do when the dye lots are not the same .... knowing ahead of time, we plan it so that the strand shows up now and then.
With the fact that there are always shadows and usually movement, it is almost unnoticeable.
You can always go chew someone out, and, maybe even get your money back .. that is all fine and good - - but, there is a solution and I thought I would share ...
an example would be to always make sure that the whichever is the least amount shows up in the same place in the block .... it will look as though you planned it, and most people will never even notice. <wave>