Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ?? >

Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ??

Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ??

Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Angelina, you could leave off the 4 outer triangles of the Snail's Trail block, making it finish at 8-1/2" (9" from raw edge to raw edge). Then you could make single sawtooth stars (instead of the star-within-a-star Rising Stars). Make these to finish at 8-1/2". That would make the squares CUT 2-5/8" and 4-3/4" and the triangles CUT as follows: 3" half-square triangle and 5-1/2" quarter-square triangle. If you use some other method to make flying geese, the finished sizes are 4-1/4" on the long side of the big triangle and 2-1/8" on the short side of the small triangle.
I sized the blocks so that the Snail's Trail blocks could be rotary cut with nice numbers and straight grain on the outside edge after adding the triangles to the block. If you reduce the patch sizes, you will get into sixteenths of inches or worse. Good luck with your quilt!
Judy Martin, author of The Creative Pattern Book.
P.S. I am sorry you do not like my style of instructions. I do not use shortcuts, myself, so I do not go into detail describing them. It is really very simple to just cut the patches in the sizes indicated and sew them together as shown in the diagrams.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 AM

I have the book with SITP too and it is soooo high on my list of 'want to makes' :-))It's beautiful.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Judy, I am honored that you have posted here for me. I really, really like the pattern as it is so I would hate to lose the star-within-a star blocks. I hadn't done enough of the math in reducing the blocks to realize that you had found the only "sweet spot" for the block sizes so that the cutting is using friendly numbers. As I said, I like the look of a more delicate block but I also really like the pattern here as it is and wouldn't want to change the look of the blocks.

Regarding you patterns, I think what you have done in your books is probably the most sensible approach as it gives you the room to cover the most patterns in an economical space. I think purchasers get more than their money's worth from your books!!

Because of my work background (an auditor under constant heavy time and budget pressure) I find myself always looking for the most efficient method that will give really good results so I do like to strip piece when possible and making 2 flying geese at a time (not sure the method but it gives you 2 geese after sewing small blocks to the top opposite corners of a larger block). I guess this is what you are refering to as short-cuts. I am sorry I was negative about your patterns without fully explaining my thinking.

On another note, I am really excited to make your Summer Lake Log Cabin quilt and can't get the colors and fabrics you used for yours in your book (page 56) out of my head. The colors look a bit like a batik line a year or two ago that was maybe called Watermelon but your selection is much richer. Just this past year I made my first log cabin and used pink and greens from Maywoods Wildrose collection. It turned out really nice. Thank you again.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM

It was my pleasure to try to help. I understand that many quilters do not use my method, so I was not offended by your comments.

Like you, a like a quilt with lots of repeats, which is why I make so many large quilts.

Have fun with your Summer Lake Log Cabin!

Judy