Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ?? >

Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ??

Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ??

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Bought the Shakespear in the Park Pattern but I want to size the blocks down, have ??

So, I bought 3 of Judy Martin's books this past week because I really like the look of a lot of her quilts. Her patterns seem a little difficult to work through (I find that it leaves the quilter with much more thinking and strategizing to put together then other patterns I have used) I am finding. But, I think the extra work will be worth the effort if my quilts can turn out anything like the examples I've seen.

So, I want to do the Shakespear in the Park pattern but find that it is written to result in blocks that are 12 inches finished. I like to do lap size but want more repeats in blocks than the 12 inches will allow and I prefer a more delicate size. So, I'm thinking reducing them to 8 inches finished would look good for a more detailed look and lap size. I have been trying to find the two block patterns on line in a 8 inch size and am having difficulty. I can't find directions for an 8 inch Virginia Reel and I can't figure out what search name to use for the Star Block (it is a star inside a star) to look for that 8 inch pattern. Can anyone help me find or determine this information? I would really appreciate it. I'm wondering if I am making this too difficult?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

It's easier to reduce a block by half. For instance if you take a 12 inch block and reduce it to a 6", then you multiply all the original finished measurements by 6/12 or 1/2 (.50). So all the 2 inch squares will reduce to 1, the 4 inch squares will reduce to 2" etc. In other words, the finished size of all the patches will be 50% of the original. If you take a 12 inch block and reduce it to 8", then you will have to multiply all the patches by 8/12, or 0.6666. So a 1 inch patch would need to be reduced to .6666, a 2 inch patch would be 1.332 etc. I'm not that good at cutting! If you really want to do this, you may need to paper piece.
When you reduce a patch, you remove the seam allowance, calculate the new size, then add the seam allowance back in.
So if they tell you to cut a 2.5" square and you want the finished block to be half the size of the original, you subtract the seam allowance (0.5") to get 2", then take half that measurement or 1", add the seam allowance back on and you cut a 1.5" square. The original patch finishes at 2" the revised will finish at 1"

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks PaperPrincess, reducing in half would be the easiest. Unfortunately, that would make the large blocks 6 inches and so the small star that is inside the star would be 3 inches which I think would be much too small to make flying geese for. I figure 8 inches is probably the smallest really workable size. Unfortunately, it makes the math for the blocks a real head scratcher. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Draw the size you want or reduce on a photocopier and then paper piece. The smaller sides would be easy. You will have to work out the numbering.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Nine inches finished would used a multiplier of .75 and probably generate easier measurements to cut. As PaperPrincess said, remove the .5 seam allowance, multiply the measurement by .75 and add back in the .5
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM

irishrose--Your post gave me a good chuckle. I thought 8 inches was .75 of the full size. My math isn't so good right now (and I'm an accountant--don't tell anyone). I think the book/pattern just overwhelmed me and wasn't as step by step as I'l like. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 AM

That pattern is totally on my list of quilts to make. I love it, and I agree it's overwhelming to even figure out how to get started. I see all the nice scrappy ones and they are gorgeous.

Have you seen this gallery:

http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Photos.cfm

Scroll down about half way to the book title (from the Creative Pattern Book) and you can see lots of pics. So cool!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

You could resize them down to 9". That is much easier since it is a 25% reduction. Trying to get them down to 8" would be .33333333333........ I assume you don't have Electric Quilt. That is when things get so easy when you want to shrink or enlarge a quilt pattern. I just chose a dozen blocks from Marsha McCloskey's BLOCK PARTY. The blocks in her book were 9" and I put them into EQ and did 6" block. If you have a scanner, try to reduce something by 25% and see if that works. PM me if you need more help.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 PM

I know this doesnt answer the original question but wanted to say my avatar is SITP
Old 12-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Snipforfun--that is really gorgeous. Is there somewhere I can see it in a bigger view (I did a search on here for SIP quilts last week and I don't remember yours coming)? It looks like you did a really neat placement of the colors. I've seen several different arrangements of colors and it seems this will be the hardest decision.