Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tucks bag question! >

Bow Tucks bag question!

Bow Tucks bag question!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 AM

I use the plastic canvas and cardboard from used US postal service boxes. I also make a sleeve for the bottom and simply fold over any extra length, that way it can easily be removed for washing.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Sorry i also forgot mat-board.That's what i use in the bottom of my bags.Connie in CO
Exactly what I use. Funny thing is, I made eight for Christmas presents last year and had to measure each bottom. Some were quite different in size. Why? I have no idea.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM

I use paneling from the hope depot, lowes etc and one board makes lots of bottoms
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Do you have a Dollar Store near by??? I use their foam board sheets.. Just cut the size you need. You can get several purse bottoms out of one form board. I have found that this is a very economical way to make purse bottoms. Hope this helps...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Connie in Colorado does what I do. Plastic canvas can be used for so much more than just making very cool items. I just make a small envelope, slide the canvas in and then when it is time to wash just pop it out and do a gentle soak on the bottom. Amazing how dirty the bottom of our purses get considering the stuff we carry in them. This is discounting the years when my son was a child because then the stuff I carried in my purse was sticky, dirty, gross...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 AM

I use foam core board or old plastic real estate signs or sponsor signs from a golf course. The signs are plastic & can easily be cut with a scissors or box cutter. Friends provide both so the price is right. I usually measure the outside of the bag bottom when I'm finished & cut to size. Be sure to send pics of completed bags.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM

check out this website for a free pattern
www.JOSEPHINEKIMBERLING.COM
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am thinking on getting this pattern and want to order the bag-e-bottom to go in it...however the pattern does not list the finished size, so I do not know what size bottom to order for it!
Can anyone who makes these tell me #1- does it need a sturdy bottom insert?, #2- what size it would need to be!

Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
you guys are great..I ordered both bow tuck bag patterns and will skip the bottoms, and look at Hobby lobby for some mat board! They always have damaged ones really cheap!

THANKS!
I have made about 25 Bow Tucks Bags and I would suggest you make a sleeve for the mat board instead of gluing the fabric to the board. If it gets dirty, remove the mat board from the sleeve and wash it!!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM

After you make the purse and insert the covered board (of whatever you use for it) I also use that area to hide my extra cash or larger bills. Things can fall out of your purse sometimes or you carry your smaller bills in your change purse. When in an aisle that has no people, or in the restroom, you can fish them out if you need to use them. I do this at the quilt shows especially because some people lay their wallets on the fabric and they can easily get lost. "Lost in fabric", yea, that's a good one.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I have been making my mini bow tuck bag since before Christmas last year. Have found it so frustrating to make that although it is nearly completed I keep putting it off. I sewed up the whole bottm lining piece as I intend to (eventually) make a cover for a piece of board to pop in the bottom so I can remove it for washing if needed. Good luck with your.

Maybe1day