Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tucks Makers >

Bow Tucks Makers

Bow Tucks Makers

Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 AM

I made a lap quilt for a friend. An acquaintance decided she wanted one just like it. I did not really want to duplicate it, especially since I put a lot of time in it. When I make something for someone as I work I think about them, pray for them, and am thankful for who they are in my life. I eventually told her some of the fabric came from Hawaii (it really did) and that I would have to go back there for at least a week to get more... air fare, hotel & meals for a week, fabric, etc made it a little too pricy.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by loriea
I made a lap quilt for a friend. An acquaintance decided she wanted one just like it. I did not really want to duplicate it, especially since I put a lot of time in it. When I make something for someone as I work I think about them, pray for them, and am thankful for who they are in my life. I eventually told her some of the fabric came from Hawaii (it really did) and that I would have to go back there for at least a week to get more... air fare, hotel & meals for a week, fabric, etc made it a little too pricy.
That is a really good response--wish I would have thought of using that one since I was born in Hawaii--I was very young when we moved back to the States.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
For the people who have made these and "given them away". Are the people who received them asking you to make them another one so they can give them to someone else as a gift. I made a couple for 2 people I work with because we help each other out alot. One lady takes hers home and her daughter decides she wants 2. A large and small and the Mother wants another one for herself and one more for a friend. I made one for my Mother and she carries it everywhere. People who see it throw hints to her that they would like one also. No one offers to pay for it. I do tell them how much they cost to make, but it's like talking to the wall. The lady with the daughter has the fabric she wants them made out of but no pellon. I can't get the pellon where I live. Nearest Joanns is 65 miles away or I have to buy on-line. I don't mind making them and giving them away to who I want but thats my choice. I think I'm just going to have to tell people I no longer make them. Seems everyone wants something for nothing.

Rant done :lol:
YOU are in the driver's seat. Tell folks how much a purse is going to cost----and be kind to yourself.

If someone has the fabric----------still decide a decent amount for your time----------and don't bend!

If you still want to give some away here and there, that's your choice. But the beggers will have to pay.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

It is so unbelievable that someone would ask you to make a bag for free so she can gift it to someone else. I don't know what I would say to someone who asked me this. I would be so flabergasted.

I guess I would say that they sell bow tucks on ebay. That she should go and bid on one she liked.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Craftygirl
Please where do I go on line to buy a bow tuck pattern. I haven't been able to find one over here.
I got mine on ebay
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM

I got my Bow Tucks pattern at my local quilt shop. Just ask, if they don't have it, they can usually get it.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 AM

For all the work that goes into these bags., your time is worth alot.

I know it takes me right around 8 hours to do a bag. I re-enforce the handles, by sewing them the first time about 5 times across, then I sew across again as I attach the lining, after I put the bag together then I top switch around the top to finish it this secures the lining. My purses will not fall apart. I charge $65.00, if I supply the fabric and make it, If they buy the two fabric's for the purse I will supply the pellon and the buttons. If they want the handles longer I will do that also. My charge for that is $45.00

Anyone who can do this all in two hours or so, must be a super sewer. I have made 8 or so, and I can't do them that fast. It takes around 1/2 hour more to cut the fabric and pellon. Then it takes time to make the handles., for I sew them 4 to 5 times besides just the sides. Then it takes time to fold, iron and sew the ties that go on the ends. I can't see any short cuts in this bag. I had one cut out on Thurs. and finished most of it on Friday, but I still have to sew around the top, sew the ties on then decided what buttons to put on.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by nangars
For all the work that goes into these bags., your time is worth alot.

I know it takes me right around 8 hours to do a bag. I re-enforce the handles, by sewing them the first time about 5 times across, then I sew across again as I attach the lining, after I put the bag together then I top switch around the top to finish it this secures the lining. My purses will not fall apart. I charge $65.00, if I supply the fabric and make it, If they buy the two fabric's for the purse I will supply the pellon and the buttons. If they want the handles longer I will do that also. My charge for that is $45.00

Anyone who can do this all in two hours or so, must be a super sewer. I have made 8 or so, and I can't do them that fast. It takes around 1/2 hour more to cut the fabric and pellon. Then it takes time to make the handles., for I sew them 4 to 5 times besides just the sides. Then it takes time to fold, iron and sew the ties that go on the ends. I can't see any short cuts in this bag. I had one cut out on Thurs. and finished most of it on Friday, but I still have to sew around the top, sew the ties on then decided what buttons to put on.
I prefer backpack purses for my own use. I don't count time so much as I do days. I don't keep a pattern. I cut and arrange fabric, decide pockets and such more according to the fabric I'm using, than to a specific pattern. some I use zippers on, some not. Some ribbon trim, some not.

All in all it takes me a couple days, auditioning fabric, cutting and sewing.

AND DARN IT-------my current purse---ocean life and sea shells---------has a hole punched in the front. I was carrying a seam ripper and a screw driver on one time--------one or the other punched a hole. I'm going to have to sew a seashell over the hole. I like this material too much.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 AM

If you quilters want an idea of what a purse is worth, go to a shop that sells Vera Bradley or another well known brand. Look at the prices for size and complexity. Back off maybe 25% of the brand name prices for what you'll charge.

Of course, that will depend on the fabric you use. Your best bet may be to ask that customer's find and buy fabric they like.