Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tucks Makers >

Bow Tucks Makers

Bow Tucks Makers

Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM

For the people who have made these and "given them away". Are the people who received them asking you to make them another one so they can give them to someone else as a gift. I made a couple for 2 people I work with because we help each other out alot. One lady takes hers home and her daughter decides she wants 2. A large and small and the Mother wants another one for herself and one more for a friend. I made one for my Mother and she carries it everywhere. People who see it throw hints to her that they would like one also. No one offers to pay for it. I do tell them how much they cost to make, but it's like talking to the wall. The lady with the daughter has the fabric she wants them made out of but no pellon. I can't get the pellon where I live. Nearest Joanns is 65 miles away or I have to buy on-line. I don't mind making them and giving them away to who I want but thats my choice. I think I'm just going to have to tell people I no longer make them. Seems everyone wants something for nothing.

Rant done :lol:
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

I have had this happen to me before too, but not with the bowtucks. I just tell them Im not in the business to make things for free, if they want one for their friends, or whoever, well, then they have to pay, time and fabric do not grow on trees! If they are not willing to pay, then dont make it.

Just about everyone wants something for nothing these days, and then when you do the generous thing, they just want more for nothing. I only make and give things to the people I want to make them for, others want it, show me the money.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

you ask them to buy everything including the thread up front, and then you can talk about labor. I would ask for a fee to be delivered with the materials. They have seen your work and know what to expect in craftsmanship. If they refuse the bag when it is done, give them back the fee money and place the bag for sale or give as a gift to someone else.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM

If you really don't want to make it, or risk offending, tell them it's under copyright, which the pattern is, and you are unable to make them to sell.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 PM

So gald to hear that this happens to other people too. I just tell them that if I make one at someones request, that I charge $45. If they want the card board insert it's another $5. So far this is working and I have lots of orders for Christmas presents.

If I really don't want to make one, I just up the price so I know that they won't ask me to make them one.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I don't make mine to sell. I give them to the people I want to.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
If you really don't want to make it, or risk offending, tell them it's under copyright, which the pattern is, and you are unable to make them to sell.
-----------------------------
I agree with this. And it just might shock the heck out of them if they had no intention of paying for it in the first place, because you GAVE one away so of course you would want to make them one and one for THEIR friends.

Yeah, right. Like one other clever lady just said, "show me the money"
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Hugs, I had a few people at work like that........not with Bow Tucks, but another purse. I am just honest and say I cant afford to! You shouldnt have to spend lots of money for others to give as gifts, THEY should be paying YOU, plus for your time and hard work. But I know how it is talking to the wall, lol!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Just let them know that you don't have the time, materials or desire to make these for free when you can be making your own gifts. If they have any common sense they will understand and not put up a fuss.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM

You know these days people are not as considerate as in "older" days. Tell your friend you will make as many as she wants, AS SOON as you get her money in hand. Sometimes you have to stop letting people use you, because they will.