Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tucks with a twist >

Bow Tucks with a twist

Bow Tucks with a twist

Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 AM

I was wondering if you thought that we would be able to put
a zipper on it instead of a button or snap? I know that it may not look as cute and would problably have to add another inch or at the top for it. What do you think? Has anyone else thought of this? I want to make my mil one but think she likes purses with zippers.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 AM

sounds easy, and cute, to me.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 AM

I waas thinkg the same thing. I like the security of the zippered top. If you try it first let me know.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
I was wondering if you thought that we would be able to put
a zipper on it instead of a button or snap? I know that it may not look as cute and would problably have to add another inch or at the top for it. What do you think? Has anyone else thought of this? I want to make my mil one but think she likes purses with zippers.
I haven't made my bow tuck yet, but was thinking about that too. I think I am going to put a longer velcro strip. I know I couldn't be bothered with the button thing. You could possibly put the zipper on two fabric strips that you would sew to the lining before combining outside & lining. May or may not work.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 AM

I had a board member make me a Bow Tuck and I wanted a zipper installed(for security reasons), but if you do add the zipper you're not going to be able to have the ties on the ends of the purse. Then it's not a true Bow Tucks(hence the name). It would be very cute no matter how it's made.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:35 AM

A zipper would be a great idea, when I have my bow-tuck purse on my shoulder and bend down, things always fall out. I was thinking of adding a strip of velco, but that would be a pain to open and close everytime I need to go in it. My next one will definetly have a zipper.....
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I had a board member make me a Bow Tuck and I wanted a zipper installed(for security reasons), but if you do add the zipper you're not going to be able to have the ties on the ends of the purse. Then it's not a true Bow Tucks(hence the name). It would be very cute no matter how it's made.
So why can't you have the bow tucks and the zipper too? I haven't made one yet, but will surely give it a try.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 AM

I have a leather bag that ties at the sides like the Bow Tucks, but it also has a zipper. I hope this rough diagram helps explain how the bag was done. As you can see, the zipper does not extend into the area that will be affected by the tie.

---------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><----------

Inside of bag

--------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><----------

-------- Bow Tuck area

>>>>> Zipper
Old 08-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
So why can't you have the bow tucks and the zipper too? I haven't made one yet, but will surely give it a try.
Okay, so you people have pushed me into it. I am at this moment making a bow tucks purse. If I can when I get to the zipper part I will take pictures of it. We'll see how it goes. I love a challenge. And I don't have anything else to do today. :roll: :lol: :!:
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Another option is the magnetic snaps that you can find in multiple packs at Joann's in the purse handle and canvas items isle.
I have not made one with them, however I have a friend who has made MANY for sale and other people. She used the magnets all the time.

If you are going to use a zipper, Nancy Zieman has a segment where she puts zippers in her bags using tape that looks like Grosgrain ribbon. You could possily match the tape to the lining material and sew it on after you turn your bag. I just made my first 2 bow-tuck, and while I'm not interested in carrying them, I think if you measured about an inch or so down and sewed your zipper in, it could work without interfering with your pockets

Happy Quilting
Susan