Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy, am I in a pickle!  Need help! >

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gjc2001 View Post
Sorry to hear about your quilt. How about a Carpenter Star quilt. They go together very quickly and can be made very masculine. Made with large HST's and squares and a couple borders. Good Luck with whatever pattern you choose.
I also have recently done a Labyrinth pattern recently which is similar to the carpenters star and goes together quickly. Makes a STRIKING quilt, however. Made one in civil war prints and the last one in batiks. Both were gorgeous.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/6193.htm

So sorry about the accident. But I can only imagine how bad your quilter must feel. I hope you can get something put together quickly for Christmas!!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 AM

I think the 10 minute quilt block is great for that and can be made to look like square or fancy windows. Look on u-tube for tutorial. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 AM

So sorry to hear about your quilt. I have made two shadow box quilts recently. They go together really fast and I didn't even use a pattern, just figured it out from looking at a picture. Here are pictures of them. One I am going to use as a shower curtain.
Attached Thumbnails shadowbox-quilt.jpg   shower-curtain.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 AM

I am another who thinks she should return your quilt to you in its damaged condition. Not out of suspicion,necessarily, but because you may be able to salvage parts of it for small projects. It IS still your quilt. Monetary compensation should at least be offered, but at the very least more than one quilt LA'd for you.

You are very sweet to be so forgiving. If it were my quilt, I know I would have cried buckets.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM

I am in the process of making a modified rail fence pattern for my daughter and it is going very quickly. I am using focus fabrics for the center piece and all the same fabric for the outer rails as she wants a beach/ocean theme.
I cut and sewed half in one day and sewed the other half and got it on the design wall the second day. Today I will get the top sewn together.
Attached Thumbnails beach.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Most of my quick quits have already been suggested - rail fence, D9P, snowball w 9 patch. Another really quick quilt is a square in a square. Alternate dark with light in center with light with dark in center. These can be strip pieced - either like a 9 patch, or with a larger square in the center (center twice the width of the outside).

Also, a bargelo can be done quickly. Draw a lightning bolt on a piece of graph paper. Decide on the size each square represents. Label the width of the strips you'll need on the line of the lightening bolt. I use 1/2, 1, 2, to represent the multiples of the strip height. Choose a number of colors, arrange from light to dark. If you want to see how it will look, draw rows of colors on another piece of graph paper. Cut the strips of paper and tape to graph paper lightning bolt, offsetting one block for each strip. Sew strips of fabric together. Cut widths as you've determined, being sure to add 1/2" for seam allowance. sew together, and you're done.

I also recommend getting back the top/quilt from the longarmer. There should be some salvageable parts. Depending on how much of it you can use, you can make it into a smaller quilt or pillows. Even the damaged parts might be able to be used, as a pet quilt if you're not comfortable using it for humans.

I agree the bleach accident should never have happened, but things do happen. I've had a problem with bleach, too, but apparently much smaller. My applique quilt top got mildewed on one corner from our boat sinking. I bleached that corner and it took out all the color of the background material. I ended up adding small appliqued blocks on each corner, large enough to cover the damage.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Shadow box quilt makes up quick...
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM

You could look for a piece of fabric with a large picture on it such as a horse, wolf, or sports such as basketballs, footballs, etc. and make that the center. It could measure about 3 feet by 3 feet, or something like that. Then place your quilt blocks around it. That would go fast.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the mishap - yes sometimes unfortunate accidents happen.

For a masculine quilt I like some of the modern patterns and depending on the fabrics you can achieve a timeless sophisticated look for many different age groups. Here are a few patterns that would go together quickly and might be what you like:

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-quilt-pattern

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2012/04...t-pattern.html

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/PATT...any-Creations-

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/PATT...erns/CQD-01072

- this book has many patterns - look through those that are offered - something might catch your eye
http://www.shopmartingale.com/the-bi...patchwork.html

Good Luck
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM

I feel sorry for you and the lorg-arm girl. I am not thru all the replys but I love the R,W,&B chevron from cathyvv. I'm gonna read the rest of the post.

Good Luck with your choices.