Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy do I need help with this one >

Boy do I need help with this one

Boy do I need help with this one

Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM

I would not change her quilt, Quilt it with love and she will cherish it. She knows her quilting and she knows yours. Do what you can, without making it your quilt. My Mom once said to me. "I didn't make that quilt top,you did." So it's not ribbion winner. But,She made it! Tinker
Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 AM

Its a beautiful quilt, I think you'll be surprised at how good it will look quilted
Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 AM

It sure is a pretty quilt. I love the colors she pick to do the quilt in. I am not sure how you will quilt it thou, but I think doing it in little stars would be nice.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
The MIL made this top 30+ years ago and never made another quilt related item. She has asked me to quilt it for the last 3 years. So finally DH brought it home. I never notice how the top really looked till I started looking at it and sizing it up for the Longarm frame. I cant put this on the frame. So I decided to hand quilt it, she's in no hurry. But for the life of me I dont know how I'm gonna quilt this and hide the wonky, puckers and waves. Any suggestions and help would greatly appreciated.
Iron it carefully, concentrating on the flat areas.

Thread baste it closely (see Sharon Schamber's method) and isolate the distorted areas. This allows the distorted areas to be held in a "frame" of stable basted fabric.

Then get out the spray starch. Pick one of the almost flat areas, saturate with starch and let it soak in (1-5 minutes). Hold your hot iron about a half inch above the surface of the quilt and let the heat of the iron encourage the fabric to shrink.

As each area becomes as flat as possible, thread baste it into place, distributing any remaining distortion evenly throughout the area of the distortion. Baste closely, an inch by inch grid is not too close.

The good news is that cotton can be relied upon to ease by 10%. That's a quarter inch over an area 2.5 inches wide, which is a lot of easing!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM

i think it is beautiful! what a wonderful DIL you are to finish this for her!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i'm thinking that baptist fan might hide some puckers. the quilt is pretty
Good Idea!!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing, only my quilt is done in a Methodist fan - same thing, I am sure. Some day they will come out with a Lutheran fan. Wonder what that will look like!!!! I had a quilt done in the fan, not because it was puckery, but because I thought it would look good with the design of the block. It seems to make the quilt not as poofy, but for a summer quilt, it is perfect. Edie
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

It will be beautiful when It's quilted.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:45 AM

I've found I can manipulate some wonkiness out of quilts on the frame with the longarm. I would press well and try it on the frame first.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 AM

For me , I'd do like an outline , you know about 1/2 inch in from the edge of the squares and same for the triangles. But thats just me. Its a very pretty quilt .
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 AM

I would still longarm it. Those curved strips and puckers will all look 'normal' once it is quilted and washed. If you are sure the colors won't bleed, I would throw it in the washer with HOT water after it is quilted and bound...then dry it in the dryer. I know--not what we are told to do. BUT, it will shrink it all up and it will look like an antique quilt AND hide a lot of the puckering! Don't use poly batting if you want this to work.....