Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM >

BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

BREAKING NEEDLES WHILE FM

Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
Sometimes needle breakage is tied up to the bobbin tension. The bobbin requires a different tension for FMQ than it does for regular sewing, that's why a lot of people buy a separate case for the bobbin to be used only for FMQ. Especially helpful if you don't have a machine dedicated solely to FMQ.
I've never changed my bobbin tension for FMQ. Couldn't use a different bobbin case in my machine anyways because it is a drop in bobbin. :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 PM

I found that when the needles were breaking while doing FM quilting is was because I was not running the machine fast enough. The faster the maching is going then the faster you can move the fabric with out needle breaks. Anyway, this has been my experience. Hope this helps!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
What machine do you have?

Can you tell if the needle is getting bent, and that is why the needle starts hitting the sole plate? That's the only reason I can think of for needle to break so often. Could it be that the needle is too fine? A bigger needle will not bend as easily.
My needles are 80s. My LQS now has bulk Schmetz needles 100 for $50 so that's what I'm using.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Since you have ruled out all the mechanical questions, I have a couple of questions for you. Have you done a lot of FM quilting before or is this one of your first attempts? Do you have the parts of the quilt not under the needle sufficiently supported to avoid drag on your needle? I encountered exactly your problem. I brought my machine and project down the our open night at the LQS, and had one of the experienced ladies watch me. It turns out I was moving the quilt too fast for the speed of the machine/needle. I spent many more hours after that just practicing to get the rhythm just right. And, I still do a little bit of "practice" before quilting a new project just to get that timing back. The more I'm doing it, the more it really is like riding a bike.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I've been doing FM since last summer & have done sev. pcs. This pc. is a sm. wallhanging so I'm not sure there was much drag but I will pay more attention to that. I slowed down my stitching & got long stitches but at least I got it done.
I've been using Schmetz 80 needles. They do seem to bend a lot but I don't know how to correct that since they are the same I would buy at an LQS. My LQS
Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Since you have ruled out all the mechanical questions, I have a couple of questions for you. Have you done a lot of FM quilting before or is this one of your first attempts? Do you have the parts of the quilt not under the needle sufficiently supported to avoid drag on your needle? I encountered exactly your problem. I brought my machine and project down the our open night at the LQS, and had one of the experienced ladies watch me. It turns out I was moving the quilt too fast for the speed of the machine/needle. I spent many more hours after that just practicing to get the rhythm just right. And, I still do a little bit of "practice" before quilting a new project just to get that timing back. The more I'm doing it, the more it really is like riding a bike.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I've been doing FM since last summer & have done sev. pcs. This pc. is a sm. wallhanging so I'm not sure there was much drag but I will pay more attention to that. I slowed down my stitching & got long stitches but at least I got it done.
I've been using Schmetz 80 needles. They do seem to bend a lot but I don't know how to correct that since they are the same I would buy at an LQS. My LQS now carries Schmetz needles in bulk. (100 for $50).
I'm also finishing a quilt sandwich but am just doing SID. I'm afraid to do FM again right now.
Here is a pix of the wallhanging I was working on. Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185236.jpe  
Old 04-16-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by lalaland
Sometimes needle breakage is tied up to the bobbin tension. The bobbin requires a different tension for FMQ than it does for regular sewing, that's why a lot of people buy a separate case for the bobbin to be used only for FMQ. Especially helpful if you don't have a machine dedicated solely to FMQ.
I've never changed my bobbin tension for FMQ. Couldn't use a different bobbin case in my machine anyways because it is a drop in bobbin. :lol:
You can still remove the bobbin case on a drop in bobbin. Remove the throat plate and it pulls right out, the tension screw is in the very front. If you have not done that in the past, there may be a lot of debris under the case that needs to be cleaned out.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Two years ago my needles kept breaking so I brought it in to be serviced. He found my needle was bent just enough that it would hit the plate. I bought new needles from him and it worked great. What I discovered when I got home was that the pkg of needles I had gotten at JoAnn's were a bad batch :cry:
Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady
Two years ago my needles kept breaking so I brought it in to be serviced. He found my needle was bent just enough that it would hit the plate. I bought new needles from him and it worked great. What I discovered when I got home was that the pkg of needles I had gotten at JoAnn's were a bad batch :cry:
While having my needle breaking problem, I went through a new pkg. of needles from Wal Mart. Then I started on the new ones I had bought in bulk from the LQS.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Sounds to me you may be pulling the quilt sandwich a little too much. I found myself doing this once in a while and I have FMQd lots and lots of quilts. Maybe you were a little uptight. Pretty wallhanging.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
Sounds to me you may be pulling the quilt sandwich a little too much. I found myself doing this once in a while and I have FMQd lots and lots of quilts. Maybe you were a little uptight. Pretty wallhanging.
After breaking so many needles you bet I was uptight. LOL
I just need to go try again after all of these suggestions. My only conclusion was I must be putting too much pressure on it but I guess I'll just go try again.