Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother CS6000i machine >

Brother CS6000i machine

Brother CS6000i machine

Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM

My MIL bought 2 of the CS6000i machines last week, she gave one to me! I love that it is lightweight and very easily taken to quilting meetups... my Viking is so heavy to transport. I am pleased with the stitching and ease of use. I think the light is not very bright, I have to use additional lighting. I like the up/down needle option as well as the quilting stitches on the machine.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 AM

I have this very machine and love it. You have to hold the top and bobbin strings until after the first stitch or they get caught up under the material and I don't mind doing that. It also has feed dogs that switch off for free motion quilting. This is my third Brother. I paid $169 for mine off Amazon.com(cheaper now)and they were charging more than $350 at the local sewing machine store where I live.
IdahoSandy
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Thanks. I thought I was doing something wrong. Just got to remember to adjust the needle when the machine is turned on. :o( not user friendly, but for the price, it does it's job!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
tmw

i have this machine, and it needs resetting every time you turn it back on, it shuts off all the computer stuff on it too, [stitch width, length], but i like it, i always have trouble with the speed on others.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM

I also have the machine and love it! I can quilt smaller project with no issues - twin size quilts on down. Anything larger will give you fits as the throat size is small. I do not like the extension table as the legs keep folding up on me, but I am working on a solution for that! Over all, the machine is a great deal for the money and wouldn't think twice about buying another.

The needle will reset to the left position everytime you turn off the machine, but it is just a simple bump on one of the buttons to change to middle position and have never broken any needles.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM

hi, I have a brother cs8150 got for $229.00 best machine ever. I take it to retreats, friends houses, everywhere. Only weights about 10lbs. I also have a Designer 1 (viking) and a brother disney. I would put my little guy cs8150 up against my other machines, no bells or whistles but I can quilt free form and sew up a storm. I like the little brother for classes ...good luck
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM

My sister has one and absolutely loves it
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lola721
Do you have problems with the needle moving to the left when you turn off the machine?

Thanks.
There is a way to change this to center. I did it on my Brother XR 9000. I love this machine for piecing!

1. Turn off the sewing machine
2. Hold down the "+" side of the stitch selection key on the left and turn on the sewing machine

The initial needle position changes to the center needle position.

Hope that works on your Brother!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 PM

I have one. I bought it 2 years ago to use at my children's home when I visit (for extended times).

It works like a charm for piecing and fun stitches, that being said, it is a bit "iffy" for quilting thick layers.

I too own a 2 Husqvarna machines but toting either of them over the ocean is a NO GO! I would worry about bouncing them around though... if you have the machine in a good padded tote and belted in tight, there shouldn't be a problem. The weight is a whole other ballgame.

I have learned a hard lesson - whatever machine you begin using on a project, continue to use the same machine for the rest of it. Every machine, IMHO, sews a tad different.

Good luck. ;-)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM

I have this machine and love it. So far I have made 15 raggedy blue jean quilts on it. And many other quilts. I use cotton batts as well as polyester batting with my machine.
I have had no problems with it at all. I Love it. For that fact I have a lady I have taught to quilt on it and she went out and bought the same machine because it is so easy to use.
Only thing is make sure you clean the lint out from under the feed dogs when you use it a lot. It does build up there. You can tell it is building up when you start skipping stitches and when it starts getting really noisy.
That scared the lady I'm teaching when she used mine and I told her it was okay this is what is wrong and she was fine.
I usually check for the lint after I do a quilt but I didn't when I showed her so she would know what to watch for.