Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Sewing Machine >

Brother Sewing Machine

Brother Sewing Machine

Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 AM

My sister bought her Brother machine (don't know the model #) at Costco because it came with the acrylic table and loves it. It does everything she wants it to do, and her husband has done his best to get her to buy a fancier machine but she loves the one she has. I gave her one of my FW's to use when she takes classes or goes to sew with friends.

Every time they are on sale at Costco I look them over and tempted but I have 2 FW, a small EuroPro, a Janome 6600 MP, Husqvarna Topaz 20, and a Singer 15-91 in a cabinet so cannot figure out when I would use it. Unfortunately neither of my daughters want to sew.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM

I bought this machine about 3 years ago when my other machine was in the shop. Love it, have not had any problems what so ever with it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Judy, I have the Brother SQ9185 and I love it. I've been sewing daily since early last fall and have not had one problem come up. I've sewn with very fine fabric for doll clothes all the way to quilting with a serpentine stitch on a quilt top sandwiched with a poly batt and backed with fleece. Nothing bothers this machine. It just keeps on sewing!

If you do decide to buy one, get the Brother bobbins while you are there. They are just a smidge taller than other bobbins.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM

I have a brother machine from Walmart, our son brought it over. While I hesitant at first, I have found it to be a very nice machine. Sews great, fm great, many different kinds of stitches, I find I am using it all the time, so I would recommend it. My Janome has been in the shop several times already, so I am not thrilled for what that machine cost and the repairs I have incurred. My prefer my old singers, but I do like the brother very much.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM

I bought one from Walmart and used it to death. It finally acted up but I keep it because every once in a while I get it out and it sews great. Then it acts up again. I bought an upgrade (Brother) from Costco and really love it. It works great and has the start/stop button if I don't want to use a pedal. I bought my daughter a Brother serger from Amazon and she loves it. I think Brother is a good brand, you just have to be careful where you buy it.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM

You may want to consider buying a newer Kenmore from a garage or estate sale. I bought a 10-yr-old one at a garage sale for $65 (they're now made by Janome) and I'm happy that all of the accessories that I bought for my 35-year-old Kenmore fit the newer one. Nothing against the WalMart Brother machines, though - I've bought them for my daughters and they are doing just fine.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM

I have a Walmart brother sq9000 and love that little machine. I used it for 4 years before upgrading to a Babylock symphony and still use it as my travel machine. I just finished making my sister in law curtains and valances with it. The only thing I miss on my baby lock when I'm using my brother is my tread cutters.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM

I have two Brother machines. One is from Walmart. It is at least 15 years old and has never seen a repairman. It has made quilts, prom dresses and sewn reflective tape on miners bibs. The thing is a workhorse. I have another one that is about 3 years old from Allbrands. It has been fine, too. The only reason for the second machine was to get a bigger throat. The old machine is still used for anything I want that can't be done with a straight stitch. Both machines have and continue to serve me well.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM

I own two Brother machines and absolutely love them. One is a sewing machine and the other is a sewing/embroidery machine. Both are low price models and are FANTASTIC machines. Easy to operate, thread, adjust tension, low maintenance, etc. Very user friendly. I purchased mine from a local sewing machine store in my town and have only returned them for yearly maintenance. They are a very friendly customer service centered store. I plan on purchasing a high end machine in the future and the first model I will look at is a Brother.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM

I own three Brother machines and each one is wonderful. I got mine from www.allbrands.com. They have free shipping and I received each one in three days!!