Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Sewing Machine >

Brother Sewing Machine

Brother Sewing Machine

Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Brother Sewing Machine

I am considering purchasing a Brother Sewing Machine (SQ9185) and would like opinions please. I have a Kenmore which is at least 20+ years old and would like one with a few more decorative stitches and easier to transport. I had a SInger for about five years and the board went out on it and even the repair man said it is cost prohibitive to have it fixed. I saw this particular machine at Walmart, didn't even know I was looking for one until I went down the aisle to purchase needles which they did not have. Has anyone purchased sewing machines from Walmart, just wondering about the difference between them and an authorized dealer. I am heading out soon to the dealer's store in a little while. Any information pro or con is what I am looking for. As usual I know I can count on the board for great advice.

Judy
in snowy Michigan (but not as bad as the southern states are going to get). Mother nature needs to take a chill pill.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM

I have purchased two Brother sewing machines from Costco. They were both low end machines, less than $200. I went with Costco because of their wonderful return policy, and I was told by a Brother dealer to stay away from the Wal-mart ones.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Administrator

I've had mine for about 6 weeks or so.
I needed something light-weight to take along when i sew away from home.

keep in mind that my other machines are fancy shmancy janome models.

however, when i went shopping for a take-along machine that had all my "must have" features i couldn't find one that fit into my budget right now. (yes ... i could save up but i wanted something now. instant gratification ... what can i say? LOL)

i decided to roll the dice on a Brother SQ9185 that i found at WalMart for $199 (before sales tax.) they have a very good return policy so i felt safe bringing it home for a test drive.
having become a bit of a machine snoot (not proud of that, but i "own" it ... LOL) i expected it to feel like a serious downgrade.

much to my surprise, i am very pleased and will definitely keep it.
i can't use my janome feet on it, but it came with every foot i'll ever need.
the motor is noisier than my [very expensive] janomes and the mechanics are a bit "clackier."
BUT for a machine at this price point that's almost a given.
it's certainly more quiet and solid than i expected, and not a deal breaker.
it does take the same bobbins and needles i use in all my janomes. (yes. you heard that correctly. i have more than one. it's a sickness. LOL)

i did a little bit of test-stippling on a small sandwich yesterday, just for giggles.
all it took was one top tension adjustment, and it looked pretty darned good on both front and back.

the only feature it doesn't have that i miss is the push-button top/bottom thread cutter.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
... I was told by a Brother dealer to stay away from the Wal-mart ones.
gee ... i wonder why he said that. LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM

I purchased a Brother from Walmart a year ago and it's a work horse. No problem or issues. I drive a GM car. It gets me where I'm going and has many features I like. It's not a Lexus. My car doesn't drive, look or have all the features of a Lexus, but works. It gets the job done at the price point I can manage. That's how I see my brother sewing machine.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM

I got my SQ-9050 machine from walmart, absolutely love it, hve had it for a little over 2 1/2 years with no issues. Don't understand why people continually bash walmart brothers, they are perfectly fine and come from the same line as same models sold everywhere else, they do not make them any different for walmart. You won't get the dealer support or classes if you buy walmart, but they will try to sell you the same machines at a higher cost. I only purchase high end machines from my dealer. Low ends I have gotten online and at walmart and will continue to do so as I don't really need dealer support and if they stop working they are cheap to replace and super easy to use on your own. My personal opinion is if a dealer needs to bash another supplier than they don't need my business. Most people that complain about these low ends buy them expecting them to be heavy duty and use them as if they are industrial. My SQ-9050 is a great little piecer, and makes the most beautiful buttonholes.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Did he say why to stay away from walmart? I just retured from my very unfriendly dealer and they only carry top of the line tha I can't affored. When I told her my price range and what I was looking for she became very un interested in helping me. This is mot the first time I have been treated this way but they are the only local dealer except for Joanns and they won't help after the sale except for the samr store where you purchased it.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

I have two low end machines. A Brother XR1355 from Costco and a Singer Confidence Quilter 7469 from Joann's. I do all my FMQ on my Singer and piece etc on the Brother. Have had no problems and quilt king size quilts on the Singer.
Wanted a few more features that the Brother had such as variable speed and more decorative stitches. Can't afford the expensive models either, but love both of these machines.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM

I also had a singrr confidence which I loved but recently the board went on it and the repair man said the cost to replace it is too expensive. The machine was only about six years old, not sure if it was do to the bitter cold transporting it to retreat or not. It was in my trunk both coming and going in a fabric carring case pushed way to the seat part of the trunk and had the quilt I was working on stuffed around it in the case. It was only in the trunk for an hour each way and the next day I turned it on and just got a horrible sound and nothing would work.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM

I have the second of three price level Brother machines that Walmart carried at the time of purchase 14 years ago, and it has been a work horse machine, travelled cross country under a greyhound, and still works as well as the day I bought it. I also have a high end Brother from an authorized dealer, and use it daily. The biggest difference is the Walmart model has a rougher sound and vibrates more, but putting it on two mouse pads solved that problem. I was also told to stay away from the Walmart machines, but that was thirteen years after I bought one. If you don't have a big budget, start with what you can afford. I did, and have never been disappointed with a Brother machine. Walmart also has a good return policy, but you probably won't need to know that. Just remember NEVER buy a sewing machine in a box that is not perfect, it may have been dropped, and that is never good for any kind of machine.