Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Sewing Machine >

Brother Sewing Machine

Brother Sewing Machine

Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I have three very basic mechanical brothers. One at home and one at each of my son's. They are Walmart variety. All wonderful. Never have had a problem with any of them. If you want a vintage machine that is fine. I have lots of them too. But you have to wait to find an available one and then maybe service it. Brothers are instant.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM

I own 4 Brothers and love them all. 2 are low end from Hancock's. I managed to find them at yard sales, what a deal.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 PM

I have had 2 brother machines, both from walmart and both of them died within a year of purchase. I tried to get the second one repaired, but was told the repair was more expensive than original purchase price. That was when I went to a dealer and saw the differences...and felt them too. The lower end machines (like the ones sold at walmart) have plastic gears which will not hold up well. I went with Janome and many quilts later I am still happy with my decision. Sewing machines are one of those items where you get what you pay for...kinda like trying to find good quality shoes at walmart....just not gonna happen.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM

I know this is an older thread but I am thinking about getting an SQ9185. I am wondering how much throat room it has? I have a Brother ES2000 and it doesn't have much space.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

My mom bought a brand new Brother in 1964 so that's what I grew up sewing with. My oldest DD has it now. I have at least a dozen vintage 50s and 60s Brother machines in my herd and love them. My BFF has a Brother from Walmart and it's been a work horse for sure. Besides my vintage machines I also sew with a 10yr old Euro Pro and a 2yr old Juki.

The dealers don't want you buying from Walmart or other stores because they won't carry all the low end machines and don't want to match the price. They want you to buy the higher end machines they carry, that they make their money on. Every brand has their lemons and every factory has Friday/Monday machines. There are just as many people who gripe about problems with their expensive machines as there are who gripe about cheap ones. I Think whatever machine makes you happy is okay.

Cari